Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk string to number conversion Post 302538858 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of July 2011 11:33:25 AM
Old 07-14-2011
Works fine for me. Try nawk or gawk. Try printf("%f\n", temp);

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Conversion in awk

I am porting a awk script from Windows to unix I_SALE_MEDIA=$67 if ((I_VOID_FLAG == "Y") && (I_SALE_MEDIA == 0)) NOW consider the case where I_SALE_MEDIA i.e $67 is "000" The above comparison works fine in Windows , but to make it work in Unix , I had to change the above as follows : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohanrege
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed - getting string instead of number

Hi! I am writing a script handling downloading list of files and I have to check whether file is present locally and if not finished than continue downloading. To do so I have to compare sizes of remote file and local file. To check remote file size I have to parse something like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrwath
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change awk string result to number

How could I change the lines with grep and awk to output a number instead of a string? case '2': @ L0 = 1 @ LN = `grep RS_D resample.in | awk '{print $3}'` @ P0 = 1 @ PN = `grep RS_D resample.in | awk '{print $5}'` # ||| fall through ||| Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larne
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Date Conversion on output string from awk

Hi, I would like to convert the output from awk function to date and print on the screen. Example : echo "Start Date: May 24 2010" | gawk -F": " '{print $2}' Output : May 04 2010 I want this to be converted to 2010/05/24 Can i use date function here and how? Thanks, Deepika (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepikad
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK - number of specified characters in a string

Hello, I'm new to using AWK and would be grateful for some basic advice to get me started. I have a file consisting of 10 fields. Initially I wish to calculate the number of . , ~ and ^ characters in the 9th field ($9) of each line. This particular string also contains alphabetical... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olly
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk]compare a number in a string with a list

Hi, I have a program written in awk and I want to extend it to do another task. My program is a list of CVS log reports of a repository. For each file, I have some fields. One of the fields is the comment field. I want to know how I can check if a comment (which is a free text field)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepk1611
8 Replies

7. Programming

get ID number from one string name by using awk

Hi guys, I am new to unix shell scripts. I have a file-A.txt which contained several names in "ABCo12345678.gz_to_ABCn12345678.gz" format. I want to extract the numbers in a "for" loop that means I can not use cut -c6-13 A.txt.Dose anyone know how to do it by using awk? Thank you so much. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrimpj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting awk Output as number instead of String

Hi All, I have a file a.txt, content as mentioned below: 22454750 This data in this control file and I have a variable called vCount which contains a number. I need to extract the 22454750 from the above file and compare with the variable vCount. If match fine or else exit. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - find number in string

I am trying to go through a file that has a few million lines. I want to only pull lines that contain a number anywhere in the ninth field, but it has to be after a "/" character. Here is my awk: awk -F\| '$9 ~ /\/*{1,}*/ {print $0}' file1 > file2 However, it is just printing out every... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)