Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String operations
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String operations Post 302538588 by Corona688 on Wednesday 13th of July 2011 12:26:31 PM
Old 07-13-2011
What is your system? What is your shell?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File operations

Hi there, I want some help on scripting regarding file processing. I have a scenario in which I have 10 files. (file1.txt, file2.txt....) and they are in paricular format. I want to read these files and append some text lines at the begining of each file and write this updated contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiragmistry21
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Operations

Hi All, Query 1 : I want to know how we can get a count of multipe occurrences of a particular expression in another string. For Eg. If my string is " 12" and i need to count the number of spaces preceeding 12 Query 2 : Also want to know how we can change the alignment of a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohini Vijay
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File operations

Hi I have a tab delimited file with 3 fields. I need to sort this file on the first field and remove all the records where the first field has dulplicates. For eg my file is 133|arrfdfdg|sdfdsg 234|asfsdgfs|aasdfs 133|affbfsde|dgfg When this file gets sorted I need the result to be ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: monks
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AlphaNumeric String Operations

Hi :) I am writing a ksh I have a string of general format A12B3456CD78 the string is of variable length the string always ends with numbers (here it is 78.. it can be any number of digits may be 789 or just 7) before these ending numbers are alphabets (here it is CD can even be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmikanth
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on shell script (string operations)

Hey everyone. So the background of the problem is that the ps3 does not support the mkv container, but DOES support the avi one. Here is the script to convert one file with the name hardcoded in: #!/bin/sh mencoder -oac... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wua05
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String operations

Can you give me some suggestions to split below string into three parts using shell scripts.. Script has to print all alphabets before the number, then number and then all alphabets after the number.. input: chris martin 200173 845747 mech engineer output: chris martin 200173 845747 mech... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
6 Replies

7. Programming

shell cursor operations

Hi I need to save the actual cursor position into variable in my script. How can I do it ? thx for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

8. Linux

Atomic Operations

Hello I am a newbie in linux. Please tell me what are atomic operations in Linux. IS i++ a atomic oparation?? Please help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aditya08
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell operations from C++

Hi everyone, I need little help in shell operations from C++ program. Here I furnish the details of problem: 1. Lets say my current working path is myWorkingPath. 2. In my working path I have list of name directories and each name directory has two more sub directories say A/B. (now path to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Operations

Hi Folks, Below is example of an Input data which is used, based on the last 2, 3 & 4 column, I want my first column data to be collated as shown in the output section. a,ac,tc,ic b,ac,tc,ic c,ac,tc,ic d,ac,tc,ic b,bc,tc,ic d,bc,tc,ic e,bc,tc,ic I want my output to be ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies
system(3C)																system(3C)

NAME
system - issue a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *string); The system() function causes string to be given to the shell as input, as if string had been typed as a command at a terminal. The invoker waits until the shell has completed, then returns the exit status of the shell in the format specified by waitpid(3C). If string is a null pointer, system() checks if the shell exists and is executable. If the shell is available, system() returns a non-zero value; otherwise, it returns 0. The standard to which the caller conforms determines which shell is used. See standards(5). The system() function executes vfork(2) to create a child process that in turn invokes one of the exec family of functions (see exec(2)) on the shell to execute string. If vfork() or the exec function fails, system() returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. The system() function fails if: EAGAIN The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded. EINTR The system() function was interrupted by a signal. ENOMEM The new process requires more memory than is available. USAGE
The system() function manipulates the signal handlers for SIGINT, SIGQUIT, and SIGCHLD. It is therefore not safe to call system() in a mul- tithreaded process, since some other thread that manipulates these signal handlers and a thread that concurrently calls system() can inter- fere with each other in a destructive manner. If, however, no such other thread is active, system() can safely be called concurrently from multiple threads. See popen(3C) for an alternative to system() that is thread-safe. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh(1), sh(1), exec(2), vfork(2), popen(3C), waitpid(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) 18 Dec 2003 system(3C)