Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Start copying large file while its still being restored from tape Post 302538507 by swamik on Wednesday 13th of July 2011 07:00:42 AM
Old 07-13-2011
Thanks Jim, Actually - it is a binary file. I don't need ssh since its just transferring the data to a shared directory, which I can access just like a normal dir Here is my existing command: taperead -b 1048576 > tape.img Should I do something like this: taperead -b 1048576 > tape.img & tail -f tape.img > /volumes/shared/tape.img What if the tape.img file doesn't yet exist when the tail command is executed? The tape drive takes a little time to configure itself before it starts restoring the data

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a large filesystem

Hi there In my organisation we have a solaris network with /home being automounted from /export/home on a central file server (usual stuff) however, the guy who originally set this up only allocated 3gb to /export/home and now we are really struggling for space. I have a new 18gb disk installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Strange difference in file size when copying LARGE file..

Hi, Im trying to take a database backup. one of the files is 26 GB. I am using cp -pr to create a backup copy of the database. after the copying is complete, if i do du -hrs on the folders i saw a difference of 2GB. The weird fact is that the BACKUP folder was 2 GB more than the original one! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing large files to tape

I have a zipped file that is ~ 10GB. I tried tarring it off to a tape, but I receive: tar: <filename> too large to archive. Use E function modifier. The file is stored on a UFS mount, so I was unable to use ufsdump. What other options do I have? (I don't have a local file system large... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
3 Replies

4. AIX

Copying to tape drive throws error

Hi All I am trying to copy files present in a partition (server 2) which is mounted to a different server (server 1) as tape drive is connected to it. I ran the below command to copy files within a partition: svr01:root:/sunfileserver> tar -cvf * a <foldername>/<filename>/<filename> a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vathsan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix

We have 3 Unix servers all running SVR4 Unix 1.4. I have no problems copying files to and from 2 of the servers using either the rcp command or ftp but when i come to transfer large files to the third server the copy gives up part way through and crashes this server. Copying smaller files using RCP... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coatesd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying of large files fail

Hi, I have a process which duplicates files for different environments. As the files arrive, my script (korn shell) makes copies of them (giving a unique name) and then renames the original file so that my process won't get triggered again. I don't like it either, but it's what we were told to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenEye4ever
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Large File

I have a large file that I append entries to the end of every few seconds. Its grown to >150MB. Its basically a log file but a perl script is writing to it. I need to make a copy of it to a new directory. I realize the latest entries occuring while the copy is taking place will not be recorded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lforum
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying number by looking a large file

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: abc 34.32 cdf 343.45 computer 1.34 ladder 2.3422 I have some 100000 .TXT files which look like this: computer cdf align I have to open each of the text files and read the words from the text files. Then I have to look into that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying tape-to-tape on UNIX

I am using a 4mm tape to backup my Unix system. However, I wanted to make a copy all of the files and archive headers (or just the archive headers if that's possible) created on one of my tapes to another 4mm tape. I only have one tape drive. Is there a command that will complete such task? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acoco
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying large files in a bash script stops execution

Hello, I'm new to this forum and like to first of all say hello to everyone. I've got a really annoying problem at the moment. I'm trying to rsync some files (about 200MB with one file of 120MB) from a Raspberry PI with raspbian to a debian server via rsync. This procedure is stored in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wex_storm
3 Replies
tcopy(1)							   User Commands							  tcopy(1)

NAME
tcopy - copy a magnetic tape SYNOPSIS
tcopy source [destination] DESCRIPTION
The tcopy utility copies the magnetic tape mounted on the tape drive specified by the source argument. The only assumption made about the contents of a tape is that there are two tape marks at the end. When only a source drive is specified, tcopy scans the tape, and displays information about the sizes of records and tape files. If a des- tination is specified, tcopy makes a copies the source tape onto the destination tape, with blocking preserved. As it copies, tcopy pro- duces the same output as it does when only scanning a tape. The tcopy utility requires the use of Berkeley-compatible device names. For example, example% tcopy /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/2b ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mt(1), ioctl(2), attributes(5) NOTES
tcopy will only run on systems supporting an associated set of ioctl(2) requests. SunOS 5.11 10 Mar 2000 tcopy(1)