Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Appending number of lines in the file to begining of the file Post 302538468 by mirni on Wednesday 13th of July 2011 04:52:36 AM
Old 07-13-2011
Code:
for n in {1..6} ; do 
   sed -i "1 i `cat file${n} | wc -l `" file${n}
done

This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help appending lines/combining lines within a file...

Is there a way to combine two lines onto a single line...append the following line onto the previous line? I have the following file that contains some blank lines and some lines I would like to append to the previous line... current file: checking dsk c19t2d6 checking dsk c19t2d7 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increasing a number and appending it to next line of a text file

Hi all, I have text file having a number P100. what i need is when i run a script, it should add 1 to the above number and append it to the next line of a same text file.. when i use the script next time it should check the last line and add 1 to the last number and so on.. like the text... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add serial number begining of each line in a text file

Dear All, i am having text file below rama 123 done raju 456 not done keshav 123 done ............... ............ i want to add a serial number to this file, the output should be 1 rama 123 done 2 raju 456 not done 3 keshav 123 done 99 ............... 100 ............ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending lines to a file dynamically

Hi all, I have a file with some number of lines. I need to add certain number of lines from another file which may vary according to the user's input and to it. eg code: I/P file 1 apps/file/xyz apps/file/abc apps/file/def file 2 progs/file/xyz ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping or appending the lines in a file through Unix

Hi, I am looking for a way to Group the Lines in a file.. Basically My file structure is something like this A 1 100 abc def A 1 200 abc def A 1 300 abc def A 2 100 pqr def A 2 200 pqr def A 2 300 pqr def A 1 100 abc def A 1 200 xyz def A 1 300 xyz def I need it as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkandula1983
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grouping or appending the lines in a file through Unix

Hi, I am looking for a way to Group the Lines in a file.. Basically My file structure is something like this A 1 100 abc def A 1 200 abc def A 1 300 abc def A 2 100 pqr def A 2 200 pqr def A 2 300 pqr def A 1 100 abc def A 1 200 xyz def A 1 300 xyz def I need it as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkandula1983
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on appending all the lines in a file after a pattern is found

Hi Friends, I am working on a file which has content as follows Wed,Database,ABC_cube,loaded Wed,Logging,out,user,302002654,active,for,0,minutes Wed,Logging,out,user,109000151,active,for,8,minutes Wed,Logging,out,user,302002654,active,for,0,minutes... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding variable value in the begining of all lines present in a file.

I am getting the varible value from a grep command as: var=$(grep "Group" File1.txt | sed 's/Group Name*//g;s/,//g;s/://g;s/-//g') which leaves me the value of $var=xyz. now i want to append $var value in the begining of all the lines present in the file. Can u please suggest? Input file: 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rade777
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending lines in a file

Hello, I have a file like: str1,"HEX"H,(39),info str2,"HEX"H,(854548),info str3,"HEX"H,'BGTOUR',info str4,"HEX"H,(534322),info str1,"HEX"H,,info str3,"HEX"H,'Landing',info str4,"HEX"H,'BG',info str1,"HEX"H,,info str3,"HEX"H,'Ay',info str1,"HEX"H,(27),info str2,"HEX"H,(854548),info... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending sequence number at the end of file name

hi team, i need a script for renaming a file with sequence number. script get a file from one directory'/home/billing/Cmm/sms/sms_tmp' append sequence no at the end of file name and move a file to other directory/home/billing/Cmm/sms/. actual file is cdr201508271527 file after renaming ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfaizan40
3 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)