Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers startX windows application during boot.....putty connection takes the windows Post 302538453 by venkat_330 on Wednesday 13th of July 2011 03:51:53 AM
Old 07-13-2011
startX during boot.....want to disable putty connection takes the windows

Dear all

i am new to linux/debian

i run my application on the computer...during startup in bashrc i wrk wid dis script to invoke startx..i do this above command and it works perfectly...
Code:
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]; then
  startx -- -br 1>/dev/null
  exit 0
fi

i use winscp for file transfer and putty for remote terminal connections...so when i reboot my host computer during reboot process if i happen to connect putty remotely my startx is redirected to my remote computer putty screen,,,,which i does not want...

i want my startx to run only in my host computer...

please help

Reagrds
Venkat.s

Last edited by Franklin52; 07-13-2011 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

How to take printout of linux file from windows xp using putty?

Friends, I have installed Putty in my windows xp pc. I am connecting the RHEL AS 3 server using putty from my windows xp. My printer is connected to my windows xp. Now, i want to print text.txt of RHEL AS 3.0 in my windows xp printer through putty. For Example: my pc ip is 117.23.2.55... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyguy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putty Input thru Windows

Hi anyone knows how to pass values to putty command prompt from MS windows. since i am have a shell script to get input of several lines. i dont want to type it rather than input values from some windows based application is there any way thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JACKDSOUZA
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming putty windows with a shell script

i frequently have to open multiple putty windows to ssh into a unix server running HP-UX 11.23. Since i use some of the windows for dedicated processes i would like to rename them (the caption displayed in the titlebar) to something more convenient than the standard <Host>.<Server>.com While... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use putty problems in windows

Hello all, I have encountered a strange question. I installed a Ubuntu 8.10 in the VMware in the XP, and use putty to connect to ubuntu. Everything is fun except I can't use the wget in putty, neither does command "sudo apt-get ***". But they are OK in the VM. Can someone help me out? Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpltp
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Connecting to UNIX from Windows without using putty

Hi Is there any command which we can try connecting unix from windows without using any third party tool. Thanks in advance KVB (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikky6
9 Replies
STARTX(1)						      General Commands Manual							 STARTX(1)

NAME
startx - initialize an X session SYNOPSIS
startx [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The startx script is a front end to xinit(1) that provides a somewhat nicer user interface for running a single session of the X Window System. It is often run with no arguments. Arguments immediately following the startx command are used to start a client in the same manner as xinit(1). The special argument '--' marks the end of client arguments and the beginning of server options. It may be convenient to specify server options with startx to change on a per-session basis the default color depth, the server's notion of the number of dots-per-inch the display device presents, or take advantage of a different server layout, as permitted by the Xorg(1) server and specified in the xorg.conf(5) configuration. Some examples of specifying server arguments follow; consult the manual page for your X server to determine which arguments are legal. startx -- -depth 16 startx -- -dpi 100 startx -- -layout Multihead To determine the client to run, startx first looks for a file called .xinitrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xinitrc in the xinit library directory. If command line client options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. To determine the server to run, startx first looks for a file called .xserverrc in the user's home directory. If that is not found, it uses the file xserverrc in the xinit library directory. If command line server options are given, they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior. Users rarely need to provide a .xserverrc file. See the xinit(1) manual page for more details on the arguments. The system-wide xinitrc and xserverrc files are found in the /etc/X11/xinit directory. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. Note that this gets set, not read. XAUTHORITY This variable, if not already defined, gets set to $(HOME)/.Xauthority. This is to prevent the X server, if not given the -auth argument, from automatically setting up insecure host-based authentication for the local host. See the Xserver(1) and Xsecurity(7) manual pages for more information on X client/server authentication. FILES
$(HOME)/.xinitrc Client to run. Typically a shell script which runs many programs in the background. $(HOME)/.xserverrc Server to run. The default is X. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc Client to run if the user has no .xinitrc file. /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc Server to run if the user has no .xserverrc file. SEE ALSO
xinit(1), X(7), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5) X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 STARTX(1)