Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Virtualization and Cloud Computing is mdadm --incremental --rebuild --run --scan destructive? Post 302538379 by Habitual on Tuesday 12th of July 2011 08:57:58 PM
Old 07-12-2011
is mdadm --incremental --rebuild --run --scan destructive?

Hello Unix Community:

My task to figure out how to add a 20G volume to an existing EBS Array (RAID0) at AWS.

I haven't been told that growing the existing volumes isn't an option, or adding another larger volume to the existing array is the way to go. The client's existing data-store is growing fast and he needs more space.
The boss said "Add".... but I am free to conceptualize some solutions he may not have thought of.

I have RTFM'd today for about 3 hours and came to these 2 possibilities. Add or grow...

After a cursory review (and some in depth reading) I am uncertain, so I have to ask
is "mdadm --incremental --rebuild --run --scan" destructive to data or will it simply incorporate the new volume into the designated mdX?

Code:
-I, --incremental
Add a single device into an appropriate array, and possibly start the array.

"Possibly start the array" implies that it is not started, but what if the array is already started?

I further wonder if I can just create a new volume and edit the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
and --scan and/or --rebuild and if that would be destructive?

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Solved. See https://www.unix.com/virtualization-c...array-aws.html

Last edited by Habitual; 07-18-2011 at 08:36 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self destructive script

How should i write a script so that the script will destroy(delete) itself once it completes execution. Thanks? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
7 Replies

2. Linux

mdadm - Swapping 500GB disks for 1TB

Hi, I have a three disk raid 5, with 500GB disks. This is close to being full, and whilst I can just add another disk and rebuild to add another 500GB, I would prefer to replace with 1TB disks. So i have some questions. Can I replace these disks one by one with bigger disks? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoop2048
1 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

mdadm unable to fail a resyncing drive?

Hi All I have a RAID 5 array consisting of 4 drives that had a partial drive failure in one of the drives. Rebooting shows the faulty drive as background rebuilding and mdadm /dev/ARRAYID shows three drives as in sync with the fourth drive as spare rebuilding. However the array won't come... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm question

Hello, I have 4 drives (500G each) in a raid 10, I got a power failior and this is the result? cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : md126 : inactive sdb sdc sdd sde 1953536528 blocks super external:-md127/0 md127 : inactive sdd(S) sde(S) sdb(S) sdc(S) 9028 blocks super... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmokros
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mdadm container! How does it work

Hi everyone, I am not sure if I understand how mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=container works? A device called /dev/md0 appears in /proc/mdstat but I am not sure how to use that device? I have 2 blank drives with 1 500GB partition on each. I would like to setup mirroring, but not in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hytron
0 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Destructive one word unix commands

Hi I'm trying to hack a web server as part of an assignment and have gotten it to exec commands but I cannot pass commands arguments as the program splits up space separated words and only execs the first one. Is there anything I can pass to cause any sort of damage in one word? Btw webserver runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aydinh
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

mdadm for / and /boot

had this RHEL 5 installation with /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 running.. created two more partitions /dev/sdj1 and /dev/sdj2 , the same sized partition as /dev/sda trying to use mdadm to create RAID1 .. I cannot even do it in "rescue" mode, I wonder if it can be done.. it kept... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Format unit requires destructive mode???

I am trying to format a Seagate 2 Gb SCSI drive using the HP-UX 9.0 support disc and I receive a message that says: DESTRUCTIVE MODE REQUIRED TO EXECUTIVE THIS COMMAND (SCD2WARN 106). I have entered this command several times on other SCSI drives and never got this message. Anyone ever see this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: edspit
8 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

MDADM Failure - where it came from?

Hello, i have a system with 6 sata3 seagate st3000dm01 disks running on stable Debian with software raid mdadm. i have md0 for root and md1 for swap and md2 for the files. i now want to add one more disk = sdh4 for md2 but i got this errors: The new disk is connected to an 4 port sata... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunghost
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to fix mistake on raid: mdadm create instead of assemble?

Hi guys, I'm new to RAID although I've had a server running raid5 for a while. It was delivered preinstalled like this and I never really wondered how to monitor and maintain it. This quick introduction just to let you understand why I'm such an idiot asking such a silly question. Now what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
0 Replies
VGSPLIT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							VGSPLIT(8)

NAME
vgsplit - split a volume group into two SYNOPSIS
vgsplit [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A|--autobackup {y|n}] [-c|--clustered {y|n}] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-l|--maxlogicalvolumes MaxLogi- calVolumes] [-M|--metadatatype type] [-p|--maxphysicalvolumes MaxPhysicalVolumes] [--[vg]metadatacopies] NumberOfCopies|unmanaged|all] [-n|--name LogicalVolumeName] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] SourceVolumeGroupName DestinationVolumeGroupName [ PhysicalVolumePath ...] DESCRIPTION
vgsplit moves one or more physical volumes from SourceVolumeGroupName into DestinationVolumeGroupName. The physical volumes moved can be specified either explicitly via PhysicalVolumePath, or implicitly by -n LogicalVolumeName, in which case only physical volumes underlying the specified logical volume will be moved. If DestinationVolumeGroupName does not exist, a new volume group will be created. The default attributes for the new volume group can be specified with --alloc, --clustered, --maxlogicalvolumes, --metadatatype, --maxphysicalvolumes and --[vg]metadatacopies, (see vgcreate(8) for a description of these options). If any of these options are not given, default attribute(s) are taken from SourceVolumeGroupName. If a non-LVM2 metadata type (e.g. lvm1) is being used, you should use the -M option to specify the metadata type directly. If DestinationVolumeGroupName does exist, it will be checked for compatibility with SourceVolumeGroupName before the physical volumes are moved. Specifying any of the above default volume group attributes with an existing destination volume group is an error, and no split will occur. Logical volumes cannot be split between volume groups. Vgsplit(8) only moves complete physical volumes: To move part of a physical volume, use pvmove(8). Each existing logical volume must be entirely on the physical volumes forming either the source or the destination volume group. For this reason, vgsplit(8) may fail with an error if a split would result in a logical volume being split across volume groups. A vgsplit into an existing volume group retains the existing volume group's value of vgmetadatacopies (see vgcreate and lvm.conf for fur- ther explanation of vgmetadatacopies). To change the value of vgmetadatacopies, use vgchange. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgextend(8), vgreduce(8), vgmerge(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGSPLIT(8)