Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to display a counter in shell script? Post 302537734 by jlliagre on Saturday 9th of July 2011 04:26:14 PM
Old 07-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiseaugustine
One word to pludi
" I tried your code and didn't work. Thanks."
Pludi's code works fine under bash while I guess you are running ksh which doesn't implement a sub second sleep builtin.

I would slightly modify two lines of your script:
Code:
bal=`ls -lrt *.txt |wc -l`

"-lrt" is unnecessary as you only count the number of files anyway:
Code:
bal=$(ls *.txt |wc -l)

Code:
echo  "\rProcessed Files :: $cnt Remaining ::$bal\c"

As already advised, better to use printf which is standard and portable instead of implementation specific echo oddities:
Code:
printf "\rProcessed Files :: %4d Remaining ::%4d " $cnt $bal

This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Script Display?

I remember learning that there is a way to make a shell script display the script itself to standard output while the script is being executed but I can't find how to do that. Any pointers? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop counter variable display

Hello everyone, how can I send output to the screen from a running script or tcl, in such a way that if a loop is executing I will see the rolling counter on my screen as the records are processed in the loop. I do not want the screen to scroll, though. In other words can a var's value be painted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifespan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script that would display installing.... when installign something

Hi, I am developing a shell script that would install a software when it is run. I want to displaying Installing <so and so>........ when it is actually installing it. I want it to be dynamic, in the sense, I want the dots after installing grow and drop. Is there a way we can do it.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Shell script to display user logged in within given time

how can i know which users have logged in at specified given start and end time in 24 hour format? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meherzad4u
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a shell script to display files in single path?

Hello friends, I am a script which dispalys a multiple files with their contents. for exm: suppose two file test1.txt and test2.txt. when I run my script it have to display the below O/P. test1.txt -rw-r----- 1 sranga staff 91 Sep 23 02:18 calc.sh -rw-r----- 1 sranga ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script compare all parameters in two files and display results

Hi , I am not familiar with shell programming. I have a requirement like i have two files .I need to compare the two files by comparing each parameter and i should produce 2 outputs. 1)i have around 35 parameters say i have one parameter name called db_name=dcap in one file and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reset the counter in shell script

I am executing the following script using 'awk -f process.awk out' where 'out' is the input file which consists of 5000 sequences. Each time it takes one sequence, run the below program by creating a directory, run the mfold command within that directory, running another shell script 'final5' and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswapnadevi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Display Shell Script

hi Friends, I am writing a shell script to extract data from sar logs for my daily analysis. I have this in sar logs HP-UX dhpcdbe1 B.11.31 U ia64 05/09/12 01:22:42 device %busy avque r+w/s blks/s avwait avserv 01:27:59 disk30 8.79 13.72 26 427 36.47 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Display Shell Script for date

hi friends, I am working on extracting data from sar logs for analysis. What is want to do is insert the date. The way i am doing is incrementing the date if i see the hour gets reduced (i.e. from 23 hours to 00 hours). Somehow the script which i have made is not able to handle the logic w.r.t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display calendar in correct format using shell script

Hi All, I'm trying to print calendar using shell script and i'm able to print it. But the format is not good. Here is the script. #!/bin/bash echo $(date) echo "Hello $USER" echo Hostname $(hostname) echo Working in $(pwd) echo Here is this month calender echo $(cal) $ sh first.sh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrakanth
7 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)