Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence Post 302535853 by dashing201 on Saturday 2nd of July 2011 08:05:40 AM
Old 07-02-2011
Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi

I want to search for a specific pattern in file

Say

ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR
ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ
ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN

Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_"

I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case only WORLD and only FORUM qualifies. So output should be 2 in this case. As second row has more words after "HELLO_UNIX_"

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern occurence in a file

How can we find the number of occurence of a specified pattern in a file? This command would be a part of a shell script. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with pattern search and return

I would like to write a script which will read a file containing a list of filenames of the format as shown below : /usr/local/packages/runcmdlinetool /home/john.doe/sdfsdf/sdfsdfsd/sdfsdf/sdfsdfTemplates.xml /usr/local/bin/gtar... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl onliner to search the last line with an occurence of a pattern

Hi I need a perl onliner which seaches a line starting with a pattern(last occurence) and display it. similar to grep 'pattern' filename | tail -1 in UNIX Ex: I want to display the line starting with "cool" and which is a last occurence adadfadafadf adfadadf cool dfadfadfadfara... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search unique occurence in a file?

Hi, I have to search and count unique occurence of DE numbers in bold below in a file which has content like below. Proc Tran F-BUY Item Tkey Q5JV Item Tsid JTIZ9 Item Tdat 20091001 Item Tset 20091001 Item Tbkr 5 Item Tshs 2 Item Tprc 897.0 Item Tcom 2000.0 Item Tcm1 20091001... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash028
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match pattern and print the line number of occurence using awk

Hi, I have a simple problem but i guess stupid enough to figure it out. i have thousands rows of data. and i need to find match patterns of two columns and print the number of rows. for example: inputfile abd abp 123 abc abc 325 ndc ndc 451 mjk lkj... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern after specific line number in a file

Hi guys, I am running a while loop in a script ro read a file line by line. Now I want to run a grep only on the lines below the line I am that is being read by the while loop. Eg: If my while loop is on line 4 of the file, the grep only runs below line 4 and does not include line 1,2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)