Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modify file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modify file Post 302535834 by yazu on Saturday 2nd of July 2011 02:54:13 AM
Old 07-02-2011
It's very easy with sed or perl or awk. Why don't try it yourself?

By the way, you've got an interesting statistics. You ask questions (a lot), get answers and:

This User Gave Thanks to yazu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

modify a file

I'm a new member of the forum, I had this new generate file since I use 'grep' and 'awk', what I want to do is get rid off the all 0s before the numbers, is there any one who could help me to figure it out? Thanks a lot! yun 0000000029 000q7472 2002/03/01 0000000030 000q7472 2002/03/01 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yxiao
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I modify the .bashrc file instead of .profile file to customize my login?

Hello, I got this question which tells me to customize my login script. Some people in the forums suggested to modify the .profile file in my home directory. I did so, but none of my customizations show up when I open the terminal after. So, I tried to modify other files in my home directory,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a file

Hi all Can anyone suggest me a good solution ? My requirement is as follows I have a plain text file similar to this... sending data to 0003345234 here is the output... ,.......... ........... ....... sending data to 00033452ab here is the output... ,.......... ........... .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify Text File

Hi, I would like to remove any lines from a text file that begin with #, or that are blank. How can I do that with BASH? Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : how to modify a file without generate a temporary file

Hi All, I have a file like below, how can i insert one line after line 1 without using a temporary file in perl? line 1 line 2 line 3 expected result line 1 new line <---insert here line 2 line 3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh- redirect stderr to file and then modify the file

I have the following: remsh $host -n 2>>syslog_issue_list.txt grep -i -e "EMS" -e "error" -e "warning" -e "excessive" /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log | awk /"$DATE1"/ | awk -vhost="$host" '!/remsh|telnetd/{print host "\n", $0 >> "syslog_issue_list.txt"}' I am creating a health script that has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a file by another file: add new line and variable after string is found

hello, I have problem with writing/adjusting a shell script. I searched forum and unfortunately couldn't write scipt based on the information I found. I never wtire such so it's hard for me and I do need to modify one script immediately. case looks like: 1. 'file' that needs to be modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bipbip
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File modify

Hi All I am getting a file with below pattern - 00150366 05/08/2015 07:14:32 8000186167+++ 50195281000000000371001010903236 800186167+++ 100209000000000 800000018617+++ 50295281000000000371001010900217================================3u4398482344334=432434 00150367 05/08/2015 07:14:32... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: honey26
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify CSV file

Hi, I would like to change my CSV file by adding " and : and moving some of the information around. the CSV file looks as follows: 501254424;500440257;PE PACKS;300467279;PREP;;276476070;655031001867176;Two Block;Olga;25/12/2015 00:00:00;Olga I would like to move the field 7 to the front "... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omuhans123
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ed to modify a file --- or not?

Running Oracle Linux 6 (derivative of RHEL 6) Given this snippet of code in a shell script: #-- reset oratab to use 11.2 home for dwdev #-- normally we'd just use sed to do this sort of thing, but that would #-- require permissions that we don't have in the /etc/ directory, so we #-- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
3 Replies
PURITY(6)							   Games Manual 							 PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)