Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inconsistency between passwd and group Post 302535627 by Norgaard on Friday 1st of July 2011 10:05:49 AM
Old 07-01-2011
Inconsistency between passwd and group

Hi,
I have a passwd file with 3 users belonging to the the root group (gid=0), but the group file does not list these users as members of the root group?
Shoud I be worried and apart from manually changing it, how can it be remediated?
thx
Norgaard

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep group and passwd file

How can I find find all members in the /etc/password file that belong to the dba group in the /etc/group file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozartny
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk inconsistency

Hi, it seems I've got an hw error on more than one device. I use an AIX 5.2. this is the problem desc. Description DISK OPERATION ERROR Probable Causes DASD DEVICE Failure Causes DISK DRIVE DISK DRIVE ELECTRONICS I wish to read the SYSLOG file, where is it ? tk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Carmen123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it really not possible for me to edit the etc/group & the etc/passwd files?

From what I have read it possible to create a new group by editing the etc/group and etc/passwd in UNIX two files but a non-experienced user may face many problems such as destroying the file by mistake ot that his changes to these file does not make any difference. However, there is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatev3r
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File System inconsistency

:mad: Dear All, Here I am sending the error msg that come to to the terminal when I attempt to start my linux redhat 2.4.18-3 system. cheking file system /boot clean /home : clean /usr :containing file system with errors,check forced error reading block 35924(attempt to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: callitdctr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ypcat group, ypcat passwd

When i run the following command on our server ypcat group or ypcat passwd I get list of groups and users respectively. I am not sure whether this list is only for the groups or users on the particular server on which i executed the command or all the groups and users on all the servers in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding group and passwd

Hi, I am checking who belong to the dba group , and found that oracle and autosys users are part of this group cat /etc/group | grep dba dba::400:oracle,autosys I thought to found user autosys under group 400 togther with user oracle , but found it in group 1000 as you can see bellow.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conflicting GID in group and passwd files.

Hi guys, I have a question. In the passwd file, user johndoe has a GID of 100 which is the group named users in the group file. But if you check the group file, johndoe is not listed under GID 100, but under GID 33, which is the group named videos. Under what group does johndoe really belong,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goldenlight1814
1 Replies
GROUP(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  GROUP(5)

NAME
group -- format of the group permissions file DESCRIPTION
The file </etc/group> consists of newline separated ASCII records, one per group, containing four colon ':' separated fields. These fields are as follows: group Name of the group. passwd Group's encrypted password. gid The group's decimal ID. member Group members. The group field is the group name used for granting file access to users who are members of the group. The gid field is the number associ- ated with the group name. They should both be unique across the system (and often across a group of systems) since they control file access. The passwd field is an optional encrypted password. This field is rarely used and an asterisk is normally placed in it rather than leaving it blank. The member field contains the names of users granted the privileges of group. The member names are separated by commas without spaces or newlines. A user is automatically in a group if that group was specified in their /etc/passwd entry and does not need to be added to that group in the /etc/group file. INTERACTION WITH DIRECTORY SERVICES
Processes generally find group records using one of the getgrent(3) family of functions. On Mac OS X, these functions interact with the DirectoryService(8) daemon, which reads the /etc/group file as well as searching other directory information services to determine groups and group membership. FILES
/etc/group SEE ALSO
passwd(1), setgroups(2), crypt(3), getgrent(3), initgroups(3), passwd(5), DirectoryService(8) BUGS
The passwd(1) command does not change the group passwords. HISTORY
A group file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. Mac OS X July 18, 1995 Mac OS X