Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions? Post 302535149 by chidhu.anu on Thursday 30th of June 2011 01:45:11 AM
Old 06-30-2011
Bug What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All,

Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions?

Thanks,
Chidhambaram B

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single user mode

Hi all, Well back at work and back to crashing systems again :-) Does anyone know where I can find some decent information on single user mode? I need to be able to fix a few things. Don't know if it's possible in single user mode but I need to fix the "etc/vfstab" mainly I re-wrote it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

4. AIX

Boot in Single-Mode

Hi All, I have AIX 5.1 & I forgot the root password. I find out the solution is to boot in single-mode and remove the root password from the /etc/passwd file. My question is how to boot in single-mode? Also is there any password required when booting in this mode? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

6. SuSE

Convet Linux OS from text mode to graphic mode

Hi All, I used to have my suse linux(VM) server in graphic mode but not anymore since morning. I cant rolback since i loose somuch work. Any idea how to it back to normal. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

7. Solaris

DNS service is in maintenance mode. How to bring it back to online mode?

:confused: when i tried to look the status of DNS-client, it is in maintenance mode..... Please tell me how to bring it back to online mode...PLEASE TELL ME STEP BY STEP.... PLEASE... :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Single user mode

Hi all I am new on sun OS. I have have little experience on linux. The Story start from this point: I want to put some script on start-up the terminal, but I cant do that. my shell was sh and I tried so much to find way to do that. at last someone said to me change your shell to bash. I ask how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahim_T
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

From a C++ application how to find if a hpux host is in standard mode or trusted mode

is there a way for my C++ application to find out which mode the hpux OS is running in? standard mode or trusted mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
3 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)