Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk remove line feed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk remove line feed Post 302534949 by Scott on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 08:14:15 AM
Old 06-29-2011
@aigles: Good point. I was just being lazy. It should, anyway be {printf "%s", $0}

The sed solution doesn't work so well if there is not an exact multiple of (in this case) three lines.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need script-remove line feed

hi all, i have csv file with three comma separated columns i/p file First_Name, Address, Last_Name XXX, "456 New albany \n newyork, Unitedstates \n 45322-33", YYY\n ZZZ, "654 rifle park \n toronto, canada \n 43L-w3b", RRR\n is there any way i can remove \n (newline) from the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gowrish
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace last form feed with line feed

Hi I have a file with lots of line feeds and form feeds (page break). Need to replace last occurrence of form feed (created by - echo "\f" ) in the file with line feed. Please advise how can i achieve this. TIA Prvn (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED remove line feed and add to certain area

Hi All, I have a xml file and requirement is to remove the line feed and add line feed after some element. <?xml version="1.0" ?> <AUDITRECORDS> <CARF> <HED> <VN1>20090616010622</VN1> <VN2>0</VN2> <VN3>1090</VN3> <VN4>CONFIG_DATA</VN4> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feed from csv file column

Hi All, My requirement is to remove line (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feed from csv file column

Hi All, i have a csv file . In the 7th column i have data that has line feed in it. Requirement is to remove the line feed from the 7th column whenever it appears There are 11 columns in the file C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10,C11 The value in C7 contains line feed ( Alt + Enter ),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for replacing line feed

Hello all, I have data like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "2"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" "3"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|" "|My_other" "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other" Need output like "1"|"My_name"|"My_Email"|"My_Last"|My_other"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to remove a line feed depending on number of tabs in a line

Hi! I have been struggling with a large file that has stray end of line characters. I am working on a Mac (Lion). I mention this only because I have been mucking around with fixing my problem using sed, and I have learned far more than I wanted to know about Unix and Mac eol characters. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user999991
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line feed in data

Please use code tags for sample data Hi I have a file where there are line feeds in the data. I am not able to read the file from an application. I exported this data from Access database and many columns contain line feed. My data looks like this abcd,efgh,ijkl,mnop abcd,ef... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Command to add Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hello, Can someone please share a Simple AWK command to append Carriage Return & Line Feed to the end of the file, If the Carriage Return & Line Feed does not exist ! Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
16 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD