Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat [RHEL6]Uncompress vmlinuz to vmlinux Post 302534664 by Chrisdot on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 11:55:46 AM
Old 06-28-2011
Thanks fpmurphy for pointing me to extract-ikconfig script. I have found that here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub//scm/linux...tract-ikconfig

I describe a little bit my history.
Firstly I installed kernel-debug package (yum install kernel-debug) that caused files:

vmlinuz-2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64
vmlinuz-2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64.debug

to come into being in /boot/ directory.
After fighting with those vmlinuz files (I wanted vmlinux) I asked for help on that forum.
Now I got script and if I run it the output is like:
Code:
extract-ikconfig: Cannot find kernel config.

I may say also, that in /boot/ directory I have got files:

config-2.6.32.131.4.1.el6.x86_64
config-2.6.32.131.4.1.el6.x86_64.debug

If I remove from 'extract-ikconfig' script following line:
Code:
# Prepare temp files:
tmp1=/tmp/ikconfig$$.1
tmp2=/tmp/ikconfig$$.2
#REMOVED THAT LINE: trap "rm -f $tmp1 $tmp2" 0

I got two files in /tmp/ directory.
Output is the same.

Is it something I need?

Thanks

PS. I just need vmlinux to debug kernel module.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uncompress... me!!!!!! :)

Dear friends, i'm trying to uncompress an "...... tar.z" file. I'd readen that using the "uncompress" command it could be made but............... God! I can't!!!!! I tried a lot of times using the Terminal but the uncompress command doesn't obeys!!! :):) . Please i need to know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gussiglo21
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uncompress in unix

Hi all, I have compressed a file in windows platform using 7zip into tar.z format. I try to uncompress in Unix using uncompress command. It doesn't work. Can anyone tell me wether there is any tools I can use in windows to generate a Tar.Z file which can be uncompress in unix. From Icestone (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icestone
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get to a file and uncompress it

I did an ftp to copy a tar file from a main server area to the backup server area. I need to get that tar file to uncompress it in backup server. How do I go about it. Please any suggesstion will be greatly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkem22
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Uncompress a whole directory

Hi, Can any one give me the shell command to rename more than one files to .Z extension in a directoy or path. As well as how can i uncompress a whole directory with a single shell command? rEgards, Tayyab (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
5 Replies

5. Programming

uncompress of zlib

When I gzopen & gzread from a gzip file, it works OK. But I when I try to uncompress the same data from memory (either by reading to memory with fread or mmap()ing) using decompress, I get Z_DATA_ERROR. Is it because gzip file has some kind of headers that uncompress doesn't want? How can I get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uncompress

Hi All, is it possible to uncompress on another directory ? At the moment I have my file to uncompress on /u07 that has 5GB free. When uncompressed it would be more then 6G , I want to send uncompressed file on another directory where I have more free space. is it possible ? How ? Many thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uncompress command

on my suse linux, there is no compress and uncompress command. however, a program need these command to be installed properly. my question is how i can install these command and where to find them, thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crash: vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4: not support a file format?

Hi all, I try to run command: $ crash -s System.map-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 in my Fedora core 4, but it do not work :( "crash: vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4: not support a file format?" can anyone explain to me how to use crash command in fedora? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kholostoi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with uncompress...Urgent

Hi, I am restoring the database backup using compress utility(/usr/bin/compress) which takes around 1 hour.For restoration i use uncompress utility(/usr/bin/uncompress) which is taking nearly 6-7 hours.Can someone let me know how to reduce this time.I have pasted below the line from script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santtarius
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Cannot uncompress the tar.gz

I've downloaded the tomcat from http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.30/bin/ at window 2000 and then ftp to Solaris 5.9 in binary mode. gunzip -c jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz | tar -xvf - tar: directory checksum error if try this one, gzip -d jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbox
2 Replies
yum-debug-restore(1)													      yum-debug-restore(1)

NAME
yum-debug-restore - replay Yum transactions captured in a debug-dump file SYNOPSIS
yum-debug-restore DESCRIPTION
yum-debug-restore is a program which takes a gzipped file created by yum-debug-dump and acts on the information about installed packages contained within. GENERAL OPTIONS
--output Output the commands that would be run to stdout. --shell=<file> Output the commands that would be run to a file. --install-latest Ask yum to install the latest version of the given packages, instead of the version that was installed in the debug-dump file. --ignore-arch Ignore the architecture of the packages, so you can "restore" an i386 debug-dump on an x86_64 machine. --filter-types=[install,remove,update,downgrade] Only perform the given types of commands, so you can filter to just upgrades and installs. FILES
As yum-debug-restore uses YUM libraries for retrieving all the information, it relies on YUM configuration for its default values like which repositories to use. Consult YUM documentation for details: /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum/repos.d/ /var/cache/yum/ SEE ALSO
yum-debug-dump (1) yum.conf (5) http://yum.baseurl.org/ AUTHORS
See the Authors file included with this program. BUGS
There are of course no bugs, but should you find any, you should first consult the FAQ section on http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq and if unsuccessful in finding a resolution contact the mailing list: yum-devel@lists.baseurl.org. To file a bug use http://bugzilla.redhat.com for Fedora/RHEL/Centos related bugs and http://yum.baseurl.org/report for all other bugs. James Antill 15 December 2011 yum-debug-restore(1)