Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat [RHEL6]Uncompress vmlinuz to vmlinux Post 302534544 by Chrisdot on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 06:45:37 AM
Old 06-28-2011
[RHEL6]Uncompress vmlinuz to vmlinux

Hi, I cannot uncompress it using standard command:

Code:
od -A d -t x1 vmlinuz | grep '1f 8b 08 00'
dd if=vmlinuz bs=1 skip=24584 | zcat > vmlinux

> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

(of course 24584 is output from 1st command + 8)

I try to do it with:
vmlinuz-2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64
vmlinuz-2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64.debug

Have you got any idea how I can uncompress that?

Also, output from 'file vmlinuz-2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64' is:
Code:
Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 2.6.32-131.4.1.el6.x86_64 (mock, RO-rootFS, root_dev 0x901, swap_dev 0x3, Normal VGA

PS. I just need vmlinux to debug kernel module.

Last edited by Chrisdot; 06-28-2011 at 09:25 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uncompress... me!!!!!! :)

Dear friends, i'm trying to uncompress an "...... tar.z" file. I'd readen that using the "uncompress" command it could be made but............... God! I can't!!!!! I tried a lot of times using the Terminal but the uncompress command doesn't obeys!!! :):) . Please i need to know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gussiglo21
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uncompress in unix

Hi all, I have compressed a file in windows platform using 7zip into tar.z format. I try to uncompress in Unix using uncompress command. It doesn't work. Can anyone tell me wether there is any tools I can use in windows to generate a Tar.Z file which can be uncompress in unix. From Icestone (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icestone
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get to a file and uncompress it

I did an ftp to copy a tar file from a main server area to the backup server area. I need to get that tar file to uncompress it in backup server. How do I go about it. Please any suggesstion will be greatly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkem22
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Uncompress a whole directory

Hi, Can any one give me the shell command to rename more than one files to .Z extension in a directoy or path. As well as how can i uncompress a whole directory with a single shell command? rEgards, Tayyab (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
5 Replies

5. Programming

uncompress of zlib

When I gzopen & gzread from a gzip file, it works OK. But I when I try to uncompress the same data from memory (either by reading to memory with fread or mmap()ing) using decompress, I get Z_DATA_ERROR. Is it because gzip file has some kind of headers that uncompress doesn't want? How can I get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uncompress

Hi All, is it possible to uncompress on another directory ? At the moment I have my file to uncompress on /u07 that has 5GB free. When uncompressed it would be more then 6G , I want to send uncompressed file on another directory where I have more free space. is it possible ? How ? Many thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

uncompress command

on my suse linux, there is no compress and uncompress command. however, a program need these command to be installed properly. my question is how i can install these command and where to find them, thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crash: vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4: not support a file format?

Hi all, I try to run command: $ crash -s System.map-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 in my Fedora core 4, but it do not work :( "crash: vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4: not support a file format?" can anyone explain to me how to use crash command in fedora? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kholostoi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with uncompress...Urgent

Hi, I am restoring the database backup using compress utility(/usr/bin/compress) which takes around 1 hour.For restoration i use uncompress utility(/usr/bin/uncompress) which is taking nearly 6-7 hours.Can someone let me know how to reduce this time.I have pasted below the line from script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santtarius
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Cannot uncompress the tar.gz

I've downloaded the tomcat from http://archive.apache.org/dist/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.30/bin/ at window 2000 and then ftp to Solaris 5.9 in binary mode. gunzip -c jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz | tar -xvf - tar: directory checksum error if try this one, gzip -d jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbox
2 Replies
SUPERMIN-HELPER(8)					      Virtualization Support						SUPERMIN-HELPER(8)

NAME
supermin-helper - Reconstruct initramfs from supermin appliance. SYNOPSIS
supermin-helper supermin.img hostfiles.txt host_cpu kernel initrd supermin-helper input [...] host_cpu kernel initrd supermin-helper -f ext2 input [...] host_cpu kernel initrd appliance supermin-helper -f checksum input [...] host_cpu DESCRIPTION
supermin-helper reconstructs a bootable kernel and initramfs from a supermin appliance. First you should be familiar with supermin(8). PARAMETERS
Of the required parameters, the first few are input files, and the last two or three are output files. "supermin.img" and "hostfiles.txt" are the input files which describe the supermin appliance. (You can also use a directory name here which is searched for files). "host_cpu" should be the host CPU, eg. "x86_64" or "i686". "kernel", "initrd" and "appliance" are the temporary output files that this script produces. These output files are meant to be used just for booting the appliance, and should be deleted straight afterwards. The extra "appliance" parameter is only required when the format is "ext2". None of these parameters are needed for the checksum output "-f checksum". OPTIONS
--help Display brief command line usage, and exit. -f fmt --format fmt Select the output format for the appliance. Possible formats are: cpio A Linux initramfs. This is the default. In this case you have to supply names for the "kernel" and "initrd", where the "initrd" is the appliance. Note that cpio(1) might not be able to extract this file fully. The format used by the Linux kernel is not quite a true cpio file. ext2 An ext2 filesystem. In this case you have to supply names for the "kernel", a small "initrd" which is used just to locate the appliance, and the "appliance" (the ext2 filesystem). checksum Output a checksum. This prints a checksum which only changes when one of the input files changes. You can use this in order to cache the output of a previous run of this program: computing the checksum is much quicker than building an appliance, and you only need to invalidate the cache (and consequently rebuild the appliance) when the checksum changes. Note that the host_cpu and the UID of the current user are included in the checksum. --copy-kernel Copy the kernel instead of symlinking to the kernel in "/boot". This is fractionally slower, but is necessary if you want to change the permissions or SELinux label on the kernel. -k file --kmods file If this option is specified, then "file" should be a list of wildcards matching kernel module names, eg: virtio*.ko scsi*.ko piix.ko In this case, only kernel modules matching those wildcards will be included in the output appliance. Note: You must resolve any dependencies yourself as this does not pull in dependent modules automatically. If this option is not specified, then every kernel module from the host will be included. This is safer, but can produce rather large appliances which need a lot more memory to boot. -u user --user user -g group --group group Run supermin-helper as an alternate user and/or group. "user" and "group" can be specified as either a name, which will be resolved using the system name service, or a uid/gid. Use of these options requires root privileges. Use of these options is required if running supermin-helper as root with the effective uid/gid set to non-root. Bash will reset the effective uid/gid to the real uid/gid when invoked. As supermin-helper uses bash in parts, this will result in the creation of an appliance with a mixture of ownerships. -v --verbose Enable verbose messages (give multiple times for more verbosity). -V --version Display version number and exit. COMPRESSED INPUT FILES
supermin-helper >= 4.1.4 supports gzip-compressed input cpio image files. "hostfiles" cannot be compressed. Compressing input files saves space, but can make supermin-helper run fractionally slower. SPEED
In libguestfs, on a mid-range Intel-based PC, we reconstruct the initramfs using this script in around 1/5th of a second (assuming a "hot cache" - it's rather slower when run the first time on a cold cache). Some tips to improve performance: o Use a kernel module whitelist (the "--kmods" option), and only list the kernel modules you really need. o Minimize the appliance, removing as much extraneous junk as possible. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SUPERMIN_KERNEL If this environment variable is set, then automatic selection of the kernel is bypassed and this kernel is used. The environment variable should point to a kernel file, eg. "/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.x86_64" The corresponding module path is guessed from the kernel name, but you can override that by setting "SUPERMIN_MODULES". SUPERMIN_MODULES If "SUPERMIN_KERNEL" and "SUPERMIN_MODULES" are both set, then automatic selection of the kernel is bypassed and the kernel and module path are set to these values. The environment variable should point to a module directory, eg. "/lib/modules/3.0.x86_64/" This has no effect if "SUPERMIN_KERNEL" is not set. SEE ALSO
supermin(8). AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones @ redhat . com> COPYRIGHT
(C) Copyright 2009-2013 Red Hat Inc., <http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/supermin>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. supermin-4.1.3 2013-08-28 SUPERMIN-HELPER(8)