Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix user with root power problem in to login in putty Post 302533907 by fpmurphy on Saturday 25th of June 2011 12:05:01 PM
Old 06-25-2011
The problem is due to you assigning a uid of 0 to the user. Anybody with a uid of 0 is root. It does not matter what username you assign to the user - as far as any Unix of Linux system is concerned that user is root. Therefore naturally the system is asking for the password associated with uid 0, i.e. the root password.

Assigning a uid of 0 to another user is very very bad practice.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Describe it to us please.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

No user able to login except root(superuser)

Hi All, Oracle 8.0 database is running on SCO-UNIXWARE 7.0 Operating system. Some how ORACLLE DATABASE has crashed. After rebooting the PC only the SUPER USER could login. No other user is able to login. we need ORACLE user to start the DATABASE again. It is asking for the password, after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konda
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

CDE login Problem for root user only

Hi All, I m facing a problem that, i m not able to login as root user on cde on hp-ux 11.00, i can login as root on commond line as well as telnet. Thanks in Advance for help. Regards, Awadhesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
1 Replies

3. Linux

resticting user to login using putty on port 21(ftp)

Hi, I am having small query and wheather it is possible ? that user can transfer the files using ftp client examples (filezilla) , but he can not use putty to login using ftp and run the commands, Regards, Manoj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Am not able to login as a root User with telnet

Hi to All, I have configured telnet service in my server but am not able to login with root user in Linux Servers. For that what can i do ? Please help me Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to login as a User or Root on one client

I am running 5.10 Generic_120011-14 Sunblade 1500 I have one client that was working fine in a training environment. Then this week the user is unable to login as the user that is created by default. The students do not have access to root to change system files or user accounts. This is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
11 Replies

6. Debian

password less login to root from a user account

hello friends, one user is created named "user1" I login as "user1" . Now when i do "su -" to be root user I have to give password for root . Is there any way through which we can skip giving the password to root. i.e. user1@work:~$ su - Password: xxxxxx work:~$ I don't want that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can not login with root user

Hi folks. our developer had a root user and he changed some settings about root user. We have not known what he changed. There is an oracle user, we can login to oracle, no problem. But when we try to login to root user we are getting this error : $ su root Password: bash:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: futi
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

login as root user

hello all, if we haven't set a password to root user, how can we login as root user in konsole by using su? is it necessary to set password for root to login as root user?how can we set password to root user? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarathy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Only root could login Redhat and could not su other user

Anyone has met the error following:- 1. Only root could login Redhat 2. Trying su another user by root, the error will be su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/user: permission denied su: /bin/bash: permission denied 3. I have checked the permission of the folder given and even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jc0616
2 Replies
SETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETUID(2)

NAME
setuid - set user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int setuid(uid_t uid); DESCRIPTION
setuid() sets the effective user ID of the calling process. If the effective UID of the caller is root, the real UID and saved set-user-ID are also set. Under Linux, setuid() is implemented like the POSIX version with the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS feature. This allows a set-user-ID (other than root) program to drop all of its user privileges, do some un-privileged work, and then reengage the original effective user ID in a secure man- ner. If the user is root or the program is set-user-ID-root, special care must be taken. The setuid() function checks the effective user ID of the caller and if it is the superuser, all process-related user ID's are set to uid. After this has occurred, it is impossible for the program to regain root privileges. Thus, a set-user-ID-root program wishing to temporarily drop root privileges, assume the identity of an unprivileged user, and then regain root privileges afterward cannot use setuid(). You can accomplish this with seteuid(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN The uid does not match the current uid and uid brings process over its RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit. EPERM The user is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_SETUID capability) and uid does not match the real UID or saved set-user-ID of the calling process. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. Not quite compatible with the 4.4BSD call, which sets all of the real, saved, and effective user IDs. NOTES
Linux has the concept of the file system user ID, normally equal to the effective user ID. The setuid() call also sets the file system user ID of the calling process. See setfsuid(2). If uid is different from the old effective UID, the process will be forbidden from leaving core dumps. The original Linux setuid() system call supported only 16-bit user IDs. Subsequently, Linux 2.4 added setuid32() supporting 32-bit IDs. The glibc setuid() wrapper function transparently deals with the variation across kernel versions. SEE ALSO
getuid(2), seteuid(2), setfsuid(2), setreuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-11-22 SETUID(2)