Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix user with root power problem in to login in putty Post 302533866 by omonoiatis9 on Saturday 25th of June 2011 06:09:10 AM
Old 06-25-2011
Unix user with root power problem in to login in putty

Hello,

I created a user in my AIX 5.3 system and i modified /etc/passwd file in and assigned this user the uid=0 like root user.
The problem is that when this user log into the system through putty it asks for root password instead of the user password.
As a result of this, if i reset the password of this user then root password is also affected.
I am not sure if this is a putty problem or ssh.
Note that if this user logs in through telnet it doesnt have this problem (behaviour).

Any suggestion on this?

Thank you for your attention

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

No user able to login except root(superuser)

Hi All, Oracle 8.0 database is running on SCO-UNIXWARE 7.0 Operating system. Some how ORACLLE DATABASE has crashed. After rebooting the PC only the SUPER USER could login. No other user is able to login. we need ORACLE user to start the DATABASE again. It is asking for the password, after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konda
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

CDE login Problem for root user only

Hi All, I m facing a problem that, i m not able to login as root user on cde on hp-ux 11.00, i can login as root on commond line as well as telnet. Thanks in Advance for help. Regards, Awadhesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
1 Replies

3. Linux

resticting user to login using putty on port 21(ftp)

Hi, I am having small query and wheather it is possible ? that user can transfer the files using ftp client examples (filezilla) , but he can not use putty to login using ftp and run the commands, Regards, Manoj (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Am not able to login as a root User with telnet

Hi to All, I have configured telnet service in my server but am not able to login with root user in Linux Servers. For that what can i do ? Please help me Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Unable to login as a User or Root on one client

I am running 5.10 Generic_120011-14 Sunblade 1500 I have one client that was working fine in a training environment. Then this week the user is unable to login as the user that is created by default. The students do not have access to root to change system files or user accounts. This is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
11 Replies

6. Debian

password less login to root from a user account

hello friends, one user is created named "user1" I login as "user1" . Now when i do "su -" to be root user I have to give password for root . Is there any way through which we can skip giving the password to root. i.e. user1@work:~$ su - Password: xxxxxx work:~$ I don't want that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can not login with root user

Hi folks. our developer had a root user and he changed some settings about root user. We have not known what he changed. There is an oracle user, we can login to oracle, no problem. But when we try to login to root user we are getting this error : $ su root Password: bash:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: futi
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

login as root user

hello all, if we haven't set a password to root user, how can we login as root user in konsole by using su? is it necessary to set password for root to login as root user?how can we set password to root user? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarathy
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Only root could login Redhat and could not su other user

Anyone has met the error following:- 1. Only root could login Redhat 2. Trying su another user by root, the error will be su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/user: permission denied su: /bin/bash: permission denied 3. I have checked the permission of the folder given and even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jc0616
2 Replies
LASTLOG(8)																LASTLOG(8)

NAME
lastlog - examine lastlog file SYNOPSIS
lastlog [options] DESCRIPTION
lastlog formats and prints the contents of the last login log /var/log/lastlog file. The login-name, port, and last login time will be printed. The default (no flags) causes lastlog entries to be printed, sorted by their order in /etc/passwd. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the lastlog command are: -h, --help Print help message and exit. -t, --time DAYS Print the lastlog records more recent than DAYS. -u, --user LOGIN Print the lastlog record for user with specified LOGIN only. The -t flag overrides the use of -u. If the user has never logged in the message **Never logged in** will be displayed instead of the port and time. NOTE
The lastlog file is a database which contains info on the last login of each user. You should not rotate it. It is a sparse file, so its size on the disk is much smaller than the one shown by ls -l (which can indicate a really big file if you have a high UID). You can display its real size with ls -s. FILES
/var/log/lastlog lastlog logging file CAVEATS
Large gaps in uid numbers will cause the lastlog program to run longer with no output to the screen (i.e. if mmdf=800 and last uid=170, program will appear to hang as it processes uid 171-799). AUTHORS
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) Phillip Street 08/10/2005 LASTLOG(8)