Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: md5sum output append
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting md5sum output append Post 302531898 by kogorman on Saturday 18th of June 2011 01:43:27 PM
Old 06-18-2011
Hi dahlia84,
Unfortunately that method wont work as the second command would append the data to the end of the file, what I really need is one line of output with the outputs of both commands written together on one line... but thanks a million for your reply.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append output to file

Hi, I have a script below. It get's the data from the output of a script that is running hourly. My problem is every time my script runs, it deletes the previous data and put the current data. Please see output below. What I would like to do is to have the hourly output to be appended on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Output to another file in Perl

Hi All, I am writing a Perl script such that the output from "perl myscript.pl file1" to be appended to another file name called file2. I tried out with the below code but couldn't work. Can any expert give me some advice? open(OUTPUT, 'perl myscript.pl file1 |'); close OUTPUT;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append the output continously from a script

Hi All, Am using the below script to produce some statistics. Currently it send the results to a log file and sends the contents of the log to a mail ID. Next time when it runs it erases the previous log and writes the latest output to the log file. I want the output to be appended to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirmal84
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output to file but append rather than overwrite?

I am running a command which has a parameter that outputs the results to a file each time it is run. Here is the command: --fullresult=true > importlog.xml Can I add the output to the file rather than creating a new one which overwrites the existing one? If not can I make the file name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append the output data horizontally

Hi experts i have a simple script that fetches the count from different servers and inserts ahead of server name like below servera,1 serverb,25 serverc,35 what i want to do is now when i run this script next day i want that output to be next to the earlier one like below and if possible... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj2989
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

append an output file with two columns

Hi All, can you help me with this: grep XXX dir/*.txt|wc -l > newfile.txt - this put the results in the newfile.txt, but I want to add another column in the newfile.txt, string 'YYYYY', separated somehow, which corresponds on the grep results? For example grep will grep XXX dir/*.txt|wc -l >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a value to the output after using sed command?

Hi All, I have a file where I am converting newlines to comma separated values but I would like to append zero if the output is empty Here is the command I am using sed -n -e 'H;${x;s/\n/,/g;s/^,//;p;}' test1.txt test1.txt will have comma seperated values but sometimes this file can be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeevm
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append to a file repeating output

Hello, i'm trying to force a command to read every second from an interface watch -n1 (command) /dev/x | cat >> output but it continue to overwrite the file, without append the content Thanks and advace for help as usual regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append the output in a new column?

input1 john 20 bob 30 input2 john 60 bob 100 cat input1 >> output cat input2 >> output ouput john 20 bob 30 john 60 bob 100 desired output input1 input1 input2 input2 john 20 john 60 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

WHy do we need both append and output directives?

Hi, I was reviewing a shell script and I found this line: yum -y update >> >(/usr/bin/tee /var/log/file) I have tried removing the >> directive and all that will occur is that the file will be created--nothing gets put in the file. If I put back the >> directive it works. If I remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies
RCVPACK(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								RCVPACK(1)

NAME
rcvpack - append message to file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/rcvpack file [-mbox] [-mmdf] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
The rcvpack program will append a copy of the message to the file listed on its command line. If the -mbox switch is given (the default), then the messages are separated using mbox (uucp) style delimiters. This is the format used by most mail clients (elm, mailx, etc.). If the -mmdf switch is given, then the messages are separated by mmdf style delimiters. Each message in the file is separated by four CTRL-A's and a newline. rcvpack will correctly lock and unlock the file to serialize access to the file, when running multiple copies of rcvpack . In general, its use is obsoleted by the file action of slocal, although it might still have occasional uses in various shell scripts. FILES
/etc/nmh/mts.conf nmh mts configuration file SEE ALSO
rcvdist(1), rcvstore(1), rcvtty(1), slocal(1) BUGS
Only two return codes are meaningful, others should be. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RCVPACK(1)