Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Take the value of variable from a file and execute a command for each value Post 302531764 by Dendany83 on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:55:57 PM
Old 06-17-2011
Take the value of variable from a file and execute a command for each value

Hello Experts,

I would like to know the best way to assign a value to variable from a given file and execute a command including this variable for each entry from the file. to be more clear, i have a file with different lines (each line with a different value). i want to substitute the variable x with the value from each line and execute a command including this variable.

example:
Code:
#more listBSS1.log
1  -  UserLabel: TEST1
2  -  UserLabel: TEST2

Code:
#more listBSS1.log | awk -F" " '{print $1}'

I need to assign the values 1,2 & 3 to a variable X and execute the below command for each value.

Code:
#omcdo -cmd 'BSC_listBTS($X)'

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file and execute command

I would like to monitor a log file using a shell script and as soon as a line with a certain string in it appears I would like to run a program. I have been playing around with doing this using tail -f, but cannot get it to work. I found something similar here:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danielsbrewer
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to execute a remote file with local command

Hello, I know this is somewhat strange, but please let me know if possible. I want to execute a program file in the remote machine with command on the local machine. Let me make things more clear. Suppose I have a cc on my local system and do not have that on the remote system. I want to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_Raghav
2 Replies

3. Programming

Assign a command to execute a file

Hi all, I want to assign a command name to a file.e.g. suppose I have a .sh file "xyz.sh". I want to execute the file by typing in "abc". The desired output is: $ abc should execute the "xyz.sh" file. Kind Regards, Qasim (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qasim
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute command on first column (filename) retrieved from a file

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which in turn contains 20 file names as column 1. Now I want to run a command "ct co -nc" / "cp" / "mv" on each of these $1 column content i.e. on each of the 20 file names. How can do this using a script so that I need not run the same command 20 times... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify File exists and execute command

Hi, I am trying to verify that a file exists within an alternate directory. If the file exists, it will execute a copy command...if it does not, it should exit the script. I tried the <test> command and the but keep coming up with syntax errors. I am coding in C Shell and the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CKT_newbie88
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a command from a variable?

Hi, Is it possible to execute a command assigned in a variable? So if I declare the following; TIME=`date +%H%M` it will assign the output of the command run at the time the variable is read in. But I want to be able to execute the command via the variable at multiple times throughout a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h8mmer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find specific file names and execute a command depending on file's name

Hi, As a newbie, I'm desperate ro make my shell script work. I'd like a script which checks all the files in a directory, check the file name, if the file name ends with "extracted", store it in a variable, if it has a suffix of ".roi" stores in another variable. I'm going to use these two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armando110
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process to read a new file entry and execute a command

I need to develop a process/daemon which will constantly monitor a file for new entry and execute a command. for eg, there is a file /var/log/inotify.log When a new entry like below gets appeneded to this file, execute the command as follows. /home/user/public_html/bad.php|CREATE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute command present config file?

I have written the following shell script #!/bin/bash file="/home/CSV/data.csv" badfile="/home/CSV/bad/" while IFS= read -r line do num_fields=`echo "$line" | awk -F'|' '{print NF}'` field1=`echo "$line" | awk -F'|' '{print $1}'` echo $num_fields echo $field1 done <"$file" the code is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tomar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a Command in a .Dat File and use it in other Files

We have a process where we store the database password in a config file like below from where the password is picked up and used in Database Scripts ID, Password But we now have a Audit Requirement not to have the passwords in Config Files directly. We have a command which could fetch the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)