Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting saving output from bash into a file Post 302531384 by eponcedeleonc on Thursday 16th of June 2011 03:47:39 PM
Old 06-16-2011
in this example....this is my list of servers

abhmq01
abhxdb01
admpae1
admpce02
admtdb2

this is my script...
Code:
while read host
do
        # since we're running cat anyway, might as well run something that does
        # the entire job instead.  tr here turns newlines into spaces and prints
        # We quote everything in "" so the single quotes don't get stripped off.
        # 2>/dev/null gets rid of the error text, if any.
        if ssh $host "tr '\n' ' ' < /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list" 2>/dev/nu
ll
        then
                echo $(cat /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list) >&2
        else
                echo "$host fail" >&2
        fi

echo
        # Prints the data outputted by ssh $host into excludedata
        # prints whether it succeeded or failed into logintest
done < servers_test > excludedata 2> logintest

However... I am not getting any input from server #4. This is my output.

abhmq01.abh-sort.us.dhl.com fail
abhxdb01d.abh-sort.us.dhl.com fail
admpae1-65.phx-dc.dhl.com fail
---> (I am missing input from server #4) this line was added by me to explain
/tmp/ /var/tmp/ /var/spool/mqueue /var/spool/sockets /usr/tmp/ /cdrom/ /SD_CDROM/ /mnt/ /tmp_mnt/ /dev/fd/ /proc/ /INFORMIXTMP/ /etc/mnttab core

However, the content of the file is written to the excludedata!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving output from awk into a perl variable

How would I pass awk output to a perl variable? For example, I want to save the value in the 4th column into the variable called test. My best guess is something as follow, but I am sure this isn't correct. $test = system("awk '/NUMBER/{print \$4}' $_"); (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving awk value in a bash array variable

hi all i am trying to save an awk value into an array in bash: total=`awk '{sum+=$3} END {print sum}' "$count".txt"` ((count++)) the above statement is in a while loop.. $count is to keep track of file numbers (1.txt,2.txt,3.txt,etc.) i get the following error: ./lines1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

saving command output to a variable

Hello, I have a shell script containing a command string in the following format: command1 | command2 | cut -c9-16 The output from this is a record number (using characters 9-16 of the original output string) e.g. ORD-1234 I wish to save this value to a variable for use in later commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philjo
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving a temporary output within a script

Good morning everyone, i am looking to know how to save the output of a command and reuse it again within a script i already tired this one but it didn't work TEMPDIR=/dir1/dir2 My_command> $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE rm $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE* it keeps saying "cannot write to a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory using grep....plz ...

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt msisdn ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping and saving output of each line separately

I have been trying this program for a long time. I am trying to read a file named "odon" line by line; read the first line, send it to do a command saved in a file "perm", once the first line has finished going through the content of the file perm, the result is saved with the number of the line.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: iconig
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files with file name as output

Hi, i need help with a file creation of an output program. I've got a program that with #find creates an output for each files in a directory. If i give this command : -o spec$(date -u +%Y%m%dt%H%M) it creates just one file, overwriting all the others since it is the creation date .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command is saving output as blank file

Hi, I am working on a script where I am adding adding colors to few of the info in the output. Now , after that is done , I see colour codes in log files which I don't want to see.:mad::mad::mad::mad: So , I tried using sed command in script as below which gives me o/p (new.log) as blank file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dream4649
7 Replies
bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)					      General Commands Manual					       bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)

NAME
bssh/bvnc/bshell - Browse for SSH/VNC servers on the local network SYNOPSIS
bssh bvnc bshell DESCRIPTION
bssh/bvnc/bshell browses for SSH/VNC servers on the local network, shows them in a GUI for the user to select one and finally calls ssh/vncviewer after a selection was made. If the binary is called as bssh only ssh servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bvnc only VNC servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bshell both VNC and SSH servers are shown. OPTIONS
-s | --ssh Browse for SSH servers (and only SSH servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -v | --vnc Browse for VNC servers (and only VNC servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -S | --shell Browse for both VNC and SSH servers regardless under which name the binary is called. -d | --domain= DOMAIN Browse in the specified domain. If omitted bssh/bvnc/bshell will browse in the default browsing domain (usually .local) -h | --help Show help. AUTHORS
The Avahi Developers <avahi (at) lists (dot) freedesktop (dot) org>; Avahi is available from http://avahi.org/ SEE ALSO
avahi-browse(1), ssh(1), vncviewer(1) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)