Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change user passwords using shell script Post 302531208 by Franklin52 on Thursday 16th of June 2011 05:25:36 AM
Old 06-16-2011

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Urgent !!! - Script to Change passwords in unix

I have SunOs 5.8. I need to change password using a unix shell script. I have tried to pipe the passwords to the passwd command but does not work. Pls provide a script to change passwds of a list of users using a shell script. ( I have also tried crypt() but did not work) The flow of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tofani
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change user through shell script

hi, my problem is that i am calling a script from my perl program. the script checks wether a particular process is running or not if the process is not running then it should start the process. the problem here is that the front end logs into backend with a user which does not have the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raviraushanjha
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers

I am trying to write a script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers. My environment runs purely ssh / scp not rsh / rcp and therefore coping using rcp is not an option. I have been playing with expect to perform tasks but think there must be a better way. Has anyone got... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or any software to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a shell script or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or software for generating random passwords

Hi, Is there an shell script/batch file to genarate random passwords which expires after a stipulated time period? Please suggest a software which does this for AIX and windows both else. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to change a user password using script

Hi Experts, I had tried to executes this script to change the user password through script: No lines in buffer #!/bin/ksh cat /etc/passwd | grep -v userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp1 cat /etc/passwd | grep userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp2 PASS1=`cat /tmp/pass.tmp2 | cut -d ":" -f2` PASS2=`q2w3e4r5` sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_renu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to change domain user passwords

Hi, I'm new to this site, so my apologies if this is posted to the wrong board. I'm the student administrator of a small computer science lab (20 Win 7 PCs) at a university. The logins to the PCs are handled by samba (v. 3.5.8) on a CentOS server (kernel v. 2.6.9-100.ELsmp). Recently I ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kerona
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change passwords for User accounts on multiple UNIX/Linux machines remotely?

Hello Experts, Need some direction on creating shell script for following environment: We have about 20 people in the team working as Oracle DBA's (sysdba's and appdba's). Total Servers which is a mix of Unix and Linux are 200. We do not have Root user access on any of the servers and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sha2402
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to ssh and change the passwords

Hi All, I am trying to create a script with the help of while and expect loop to do the following: 1. script will pick up the servers one by one from server_list file and will do ssh to it. 2. for each server it will change the password of user test1. 3. script should also provide logs for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies
PASSMASS(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PASSMASS(1)

NAME
passmass - change password on multiple machines SYNOPSIS
passmass [ host1 host2 host3 ... ] INTRODUCTION
Passmass changes a password on multiple machines. If you have accounts on several machines that do not share password databases, Passmass can help you keep them all in sync. This, in turn, will make it easier to change them more frequently. When Passmass runs, it asks you for the old and new passwords. (If you are changing root passwords and have equivalencing, the old pass- word is not used and may be omitted.) Passmass understands the "usual" conventions. Additional arguments may be used for tuning. They affect all hosts which follow until another argument overrides it. For example, if you are known as "libes" on host1 and host2, but "don" on host3, you would say: passmass host1 host2 -user don host3 Arguments are: -user User whose password will be changed. By default, the current user is used. -rlogin Use rlogin to access host. (default) -slogin Use slogin to access host. -ssh Use ssh to access host. -telnet Use telnet to access host. -program Next argument is a program to run to set the password. Default is "passwd". Other common choices are "yppasswd" and "set passwd" (e.g., VMS hosts). A program name such as "password fred" can be used to create entries for new accounts (when run as root). -prompt Next argument is a prompt suffix pattern. This allows the script to know when the shell is prompting. The default is "# " for root and "% " for non-root accounts. -timeout Next argument is the number of seconds to wait for responses. Default is 30 but some systems can be much slower logging in. -su Next argument is 1 or 0. If 1, you are additionally prompted for a root password which is used to su after logging in. root's password is changed rather than the user's. This is useful for hosts which do not allow root to log in. HOW TO USE
The best way to run Passmass is to put the command in a one-line shell script or alias. Whenever you get a new account on a new machine, add the appropriate arguments to the command. Then run it whenever you want to change your passwords on all the hosts. CAVEATS
Using the same password on multiple hosts carries risks. In particular, if the password can be stolen, then all of your accounts are at risk. Thus, you should not use Passmass in situations where your password is visible, such as across a network which hackers are known to eavesdrop. On the other hand, if you have enough accounts with different passwords, you may end up writing them down somewhere - and that can be a security problem. Funny story: my college roommate had an 11"x13" piece of paper on which he had listed accounts and passwords all across the Internet. This was several years worth of careful work and he carried it with him everywhere he went. Well one day, he forgot to remove it from his jeans, and we found a perfectly blank sheet of paper when we took out the wash the following day! SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 7 October 1993 PASSMASS(1)