Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Re-Mapping Printers.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Re-Mapping Printers. Post 302530889 by Hadleyshope on Wednesday 15th of June 2011 09:30:07 AM
Old 06-15-2011
Re-Mapping Printers.

Hi we have a situation where some printers are on a server that sometimes has to be rebooted. If this happens the Unix boxes we have that are referencing the printers in the vfstab file fail to work even when the print server is brought back up. Does anyone know if it would be possible to put them into a shell script to run if the print server goes down and how I would convert whats in the vfstan file to what I should put in a shell script.

Thanks in advance for any help.

server1:/vol/printer1 - /var/spool/printer1 nfs - yes rw
server1:/vol/printer2 - /var/spool/printer2 nfs - yes rw
server2:/vol/printer3 - /var/spool/printer3 nfs - yes rw
server2:/vol/printer4 - /var/spool/printer4 nfs - yes rw
server2:/vol/printer5 - /var/spool/printer5 nfs - yes rw

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printers

I'm in need of finding out on how to mount and dismount printers. Thx, shawnnee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shawnnee
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question Regarding Printers

I havve a printer directly connected to the network point with no host computer . Can this printer be configured on a Unix machine . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jai
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disabled printers

How does or what makes a printer go into a disabled state? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsb0
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Printers Question

Is there a limit on how many printers you can have configured in Solaris? The reason I ask is we use RF printers for the software we run and have added 52 of these printers the problem is that I need to add about another 50 and its like we have hit a limit at 52 it wont let us add anymore. If... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

5. AIX

Printers.hpJetDirect.attach

Can someone email me a copy of this file? Our AIX 5 cds are at our hotsite and I need a copy to try a fix on a printer. flyingdutchman1978@gmail.com Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: schism25
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usb printers

Hey guys!! I just had changed my server and the new one does not have a parallel port, only usb, and I donīt know how to make a usb printer work. Iīm using sco openserver 5.0.7 Someone can help me? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proyesa
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Printers question...

Hi there... I have a question for those who mess with printers in hpnpl\jetadmin... what's the differance bitween local printer queue and remote printer queue and why for adding a remote queue i need to restart my spooler while for a local queue i dont... thanx for the help! Eliraz. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Help, my printers have disappeared

Hi all I have a really strange situation. This morning I ran lpstat -p and it didn't return any results. I ran lpstat -t and the scheduler is running. How strange, it seems all the printers have disappeared from my server. Can anyone perhaps explain to me how this is possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Picking problem with printers

Hello to everybody i have problem the picking process falls and falls. I dont now what the picking process do i believe that is a print server on a data base i dont know where to look. Is a solaris 10 with korn sheell the process show this ps -ef | grep picking batch 18466 1 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating unique mapping from multiple mapping

Hello, I do not know if this is the right title to use. I have a large dictionary database which has the following structure: where a b c d e are in English and p q r s t are in a target language., the two separated by the delimiter =. What I am looking for is a perl script which will take... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies
lpstat(1)							    Apple Inc.								 lpstat(1)

NAME
lpstat - print cups status information SYNOPSIS
lpstat [ -E ] [ -H ] [ -U username ] [ -h hostname[:port] ] [ -l ] [ -W which-jobs ] [ -a [ destination(s) ] ] [ -c [ class(es) ] ] [ -d ] [ -o [ destination(s) ] ] [ -p [ printer(s) ] ] [ -r ] [ -R ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u [ user(s) ] ] [ -v [ printer(s) ] ] DESCRIPTION
lpstat displays status information about the current classes, jobs, and printers. When run with no arguments, lpstat will list jobs queued by the current user. OPTIONS
The lpstat command supports the following options: -E Forces encryption when connecting to the server. -H Shows the server hostname and port. -R Shows the ranking of print jobs. -U username Specifies an alternate username. -W which-jobs Specifies which jobs to show, completed or not-completed (the default). This option must appear before the -o option and/or any printer names, otherwise the default (not-completed) value will be used in the request to the scheduler. -a [printer(s)] Shows the accepting state of printer queues. If no printers are specified then all printers are listed. -c [class(es)] Shows the printer classes and the printers that belong to them. If no classes are specified then all classes are listed. -d Shows the current default destination. -h server[:port] Specifies an alternate server. -l Shows a long listing of printers, classes, or jobs. -o [destination(s)] Shows the jobs queue on the specified destinations. If no destinations are specified all jobs are shown. -p [printer(s)] Shows the printers and whether or not they are enabled for printing. If no printers are specified then all printers are listed. -r Shows whether the CUPS server is running. -s Shows a status summary, including the default destination, a list of classes and their member printers, and a list of printers and their associated devices. This is equivalent to using the "-d", "-c", and "-v" options. -t Shows all status information. This is equivalent to using the "-r", "-d", "-c", "-v", "-a", "-p", and "-o" options. -u [user(s)] Shows a list of print jobs queued by the specified users. If no users are specified, lists the jobs queued by the current user. -v [printer(s)] Shows the printers and what device they are attached to. If no printers are specified then all printers are listed. COMPATIBILITY
Unlike the System V printing system, CUPS allows printer names to contain any printable character except SPACE, TAB, "/", and "#". Also, printer and class names are not case-sensitive. The "-h", "-E", "-U", and "-W" options are unique to CUPS. The Solaris "-f", "-P", and "-S" options are silently ignored. SEE ALSO
cancel(1), lp(1), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2013 by Apple Inc. 10 September 2008 CUPS lpstat(1)