Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Confused with if/then
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confused with if/then Post 302530310 by gmdune on Monday 13th of June 2011 02:14:52 PM
Old 06-13-2011
Confused with if/then

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to this so please bear with me...

I'm trying to write a bash script to first search in a file for a string of characters; if the characters exist than skip the rest of the code until you get to the last line and run that command /sbdin/ldconfig; if the string doesn't exist then add it to the file using sed and then run the last command /sbin/ldconfig.

Also too, my code looks really scrunched and I would like some suggestions, if anyone has any, on how to better construct it. Thanks for your help

Here's the code:

Code:
#!/bin/bash 

# This script installs the packages necessary 
# to run python 2.71 from a global location 
# Then adds the global location to 
# /etc/ld.so.conf and runs ldconfig

PY_GLBL=/unix_vs/local/CentOS5/lib
LD_CONF=/etc/ld.so.conf

# Installing packages

#   yum -y install blas-devel lapack-devel atlas-devel \
#   tkinter tcl tk tcl-devel tk-devel jasper jasper-devel \
#   proj proj-devel geos geos-devel

# Check for global location in $LD_CONF 
# and $PY_GLBL if necessary 

if  grep -i $PY_GLBL $LD_CONF; then
   echo "Nothing to do"
else 
   if [ ! grep -i $PY_GLBL $LD_CONF ]; then
   echo "Add Line"
    cp -p $LD_CONF $LD_CONF.`date '+%Y%m%d'` 
     sed '1a /unix_vs/local/CentOS5/lib' \
     > $LD_CONF.tmp; cp -u $LD_CONF.tmp $LD_CONF
   fi
fi

# Run ldconfig
   /sbin/ldconfig

---------- Post updated at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:13 PM ----------

Sorry I forgot to add the error I get when I run the script:

Code:
[root@sys etc]# /downloads/ld.sh 
/downloads/ld.sh: line 22: [: too many arguments

Last edited by pludi; 06-13-2011 at 05:30 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused,,,,

Hi,,, is there any possibility to install Linux in my P.C which is use Win98 without loose anything from my hard disk???? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Is it better for a newbie in this kind of OS to install Linux instead of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spyros
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused

hi! how when i'm chattin inside com there was this chatter andi don't know what he did but he saw all my files inside my shell. what did he do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hapiworm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

confused with cp

may i know what cp $1 $2 $0 $2 does? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused

A red hat linux ftp server exists in which a file exists. My problem is I need to connect to this server from my windows xp terminal which is in the same network & retrieve the file then convert it to xcel for some data Pls advs commands and procedure to connect to the machine...oh my god... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sauravjung
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed very confused

Hello experts, I have this complicated code that output value in between pattern and add "a string" to the front of the output. The problems I have many pattern that are the same. so I want to know how to get the value between 1st pattern, 2nd pattern etc. Any suggestions? sed -n... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confused with the permission

Hi, One of the directory in my folder has the following persion : drwxr-sr-x Can any one explain this permission and how can his occur ? This folder is created with Win SCP. Any folder created with win SCP is being set to this permission only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Confused c#t#d#s#

I am confused c#t#d#s# once I learn the following : slice 0 ...... 0 to 2520 slice 1....... 2521 to 2840 slice 6........2841 to 8891 slice 2........0 to 8891 really really confused. Please explain. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: deltakutty
8 Replies

8. Ubuntu

New and Confused

Hello, I am having a problem with Dual Booting Windows XP Pro and Linux Mint. I have Three Hard Drives, One Hard Drive has Linux Mint Loaded on it. When it is hooked up to the computer by itself it works great. This is an IDE Drive. The Second Hard Drive has Window XP Pro loaded on it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Forextrading
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused with redirection

Hi Guys, First of all I am not entirely sure if this is the correct way of doing what I need to be done. I have tried to google for some suggestions and so far it got me more confused. Basically what I need is to pipe the output of a program to a function in KSH and inside the function some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maddmaster
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)