Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Display Specific line number using tail command Post 302530176 by vivek1489 on Monday 13th of June 2011 07:43:43 AM
Old 06-13-2011
m searching perticular file using this command
tail -10 `ls -t1 | head -n1`
then
tail +10 `ls -t1 | head -n1` | head -5
is correct

---------- Post updated at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:35 AM ----------

i want to see only 10 line from end

---------- Post updated at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:42 AM ----------

got thanks
tail -11 `ls -t1 | head -n1` | head -1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to display line number for tail -f

Hi, Just wonder if there is any quick way to display line number when monitoring a log file with tail -f? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iengca
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Tail command in one line

HI i have to copy the last 5000 lines form a log file and copy the same in the same file .overwriting the same log file. ex: tail -5000 testfile1 > testfile2 cat testfile2 mv tesftfile2 testfile1 will produce the correct result.but i want to have this done in one line???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use command tail -f & show line number.

Hello Guys, I have created function which is as follow: tail -f filename |grep "Key word" output from this command 19-11-2011 21:09:15,234 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,286 - INFO Numbement - error number:result = :11 19-11-2011 21:09:15,523 - INFO... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut from specific line number to a line number

Hi All, I've a file like this.. Sheet1 a,1 a,2 a,3 a,4 a,5 Sheet2 a,6 a,7 a,8 a,9 a,10 Sheet3 a,11 a,12 a,13 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to display certain line of file only using head or tail in 1 command?

First month learning about the Linux terminal and it has been a challenge yet fun so far. We're learning by using a gameshell. I'm trying to display a certain line ( only allowed 1 command ) from a file only using the head or tail. I'm pretty about this answer: head -23 history.txt | tail -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forzatekk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do we display specific row of an output from bottom given line number?

I pass a number to my script. Passing "1" below. ./getfile.sh 1 echo "User entered: $1" ls -ltr *.conf | sed -n '$p' I wish to use ls -ltr i.e list files in ascending order of time the latest showing at the bottom of the output. Number 1 should get me the last row of ls -ltr output i.e... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
head(1) 							   User Commands							   head(1)

NAME
head - display first few lines of files SYNOPSIS
head [-number | -n number] [filename...] DESCRIPTION
The head utility copies the first number of lines of each filename to the standard output. If no filename is given, head copies lines from the standard input. The default value of number is 10 lines. When more than one file is specified, the start of each file will look like: ==> filename <== Thus, a common way to display a set of short files, identifying each one, is: example% head -9999 filename1 filename2 ... OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n number The first number lines of each input file will be copied to standard output. The number option-argument must be a positive decimal integer. -number The number argument is a positive decimal integer with the same effect as the -n number option. If no options are specified, head will act as if -n 10had been specified. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of head when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Writing the first ten lines of all files To write the first ten lines of all files (except those with a leading period) in the directory: example% head * ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of head: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), more(1), pg(1), tail(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 head(1)