Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options Post 302530058 by pludi on Sunday 12th of June 2011 03:36:34 PM
Old 06-12-2011
Interestingly, creating a VM to test the recovery took longer than the recovery itself Smilie

Here's the steps:
  1. Boot from a Mint Live-CD or DVD
  2. Open a terminal, and become root (saves the hassle of always sudo'ing) by entering sudo su -
  3. Mount the root partition of your Mint install, eg mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
  4. Mount some important special filesystems: for fs in proc sys dev dev/pts; do mount --bind /$fs /mnt/$fs; done
  5. Switch into the original system: chroot /mnt /bin/bash
  6. Install the generic kernel: apt-get install linux-generic linux-image-generic
  7. Exit the chroot environment, unmount /mnt and anything below, and restart
  8. After you're back in your system, best reinstall the kernel, just in case.

Best of luck Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

menu.lst, boot options?

Hi all, I would like to have some details on menu.lst!! the reason is ,if i am trying to add my own boot option where do i need to add it? is it in menu.lst only or elsewere(am referring to unix os) because i tried adding a unique boot option and it was not reflected when the system booted?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

Boot Options on HP PA-RISC and Itanium Servers

I've never really explored the options available in the boot firmware on our servers. Outside of needing to change boot device paths a few times for various reasons, I'm wondering what the implications are of turning off FASTBOOT. According to the man page for 'setboot', it seems that when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deckard
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Boot options - DVD drive read error

I was wondering if there was a way to boot from openboot from the dvd drive. I was thinking about imaging the dvd to a blank drive and going about it that way. I just need to do a flash install. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Loading Kernel module at boot

Is there any link/tutorial on loading Solaris kernel modules at boot time?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisolin
0 Replies

5. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New kernel won't boot

I compiled new kernel in linux 10.04 called linux-2.6.26.8-xenomai, it runs alongside the other kernel, but when I want to boot it I get an error message saying: Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev) ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist. After making the modules and headers I made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
4 Replies

7. Slackware

/boot: how do I change the current kernel?

Slackware 14.0 Hi: I once changed the smp kernel running in my system by another one in /boot. What I did was to relink /boot/System.map, /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/config. But I don't remember if I did something else. Would that alone be OK. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stf92
4 Replies

8. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)