Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count lines AWK
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count lines AWK Post 302529962 by Godie on Saturday 11th of June 2011 04:28:30 PM
Old 06-11-2011
Java Count lines AWK

Hi, how can I count the lines where a word appears in a file, using AWK?

Example:

file.txt:

Code:
gold 1588 France
gold 1478 Spain
silver 1596 France
emerald 1584 UK
diamond 1478 Germany
gold 1639 USA

Number of lines where gold in text is = 3

I've try this, but all I get is the number of the current line where the word is located.

count.awk:

Code:
awk '
/gold/ { print NR }' file.txt

Result:

Code:

Last edited by radoulov; 06-11-2011 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help needed in trying to count lines,words and characters

Hello, i am trying to write a script file in awk which yields me the number of lines,characters and words, i checked it many many times but i am not able to find any mistake in it. Please tell me where i went wrong. BEGIN{ print "Filename Lines Words Chars\n" } { filename=filename + 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count duplicated lines

We have an input file as follows: 2010-09-15-12.41.15 2010-09-15-12.41.15 2010-09-15-12.41.24 2010-09-15-12.41.24 2010-09-15-12.41.24 2010-09-15-12.41.24 2010-09-15-12.41.25 2010-09-15-12.41.26 2010-09-15-12.41.26 2010-09-15-12.41.26 2010-09-15-12.41.26 2010-09-15-12.41.26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple pattern matching using awk and getting count of lines

Hi , I have a file which has multiple rows of data, i want to match the pattern for two columns and if both conditions satisfied i have to add the counter by 1 and finally print the count value. How to proceed... I tried in this way... awk -F, 'BEGIN {cnt = 0} {if $6 == "VLY278" &&... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count words/lines between two tags using awk

Is there an efficient awk that can count the number of lines that occur in between two tags. For instance, consider the following text: <s> Hi PP - my VBD - name DT - is NN - . SENT . </s> <s> Her PP - name VBD - is DT - the NN - same WRT - . SENT - </s> I am interested to know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print before and after lines then count of patterns

What i'm trying to do here is show X amount of lines before and after the string "serialNumber" is found. BEFORE=3 AFTER=2 gawk '{a=$0} {count=0} /serialNumber/ && /./ {for(i=NR-'"${BEFORE}"';i<=NR;i++){count++ ;print a}for(i=1;i<'"${AFTER}"';i++){getline; print ; count ++; print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk joining multiple lines based on field count

Hi Folks, I have a file with fields as follows which has last field in multiple lines. I would like to combine a line which has three fields with single field line for as shown in expected output. Please help. INPUT hname01 windows appnamec1eda_p1, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines with awk if statements

Hi Everybody, I wanna count lines in many files, but only if they meet a condition, I have something like this, cat /path1/usr/STAT/GPRS/ESTCOL_GPRS_2016* | awk 'BEGIN{FS=",";}{ if (substr($5,1,8)=='$DATE'){a++} END{for(i in a)print a}}' DATE=$(date +%Y%m%d -d "1 day ago") But it has... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elly
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines where field count is greather than 1 in two fields

I am trying to remove all the lines and spaces where the count in $4 or $5 is greater than 1 (more than 1 letter). The file and the output are tab-delimited. Thank you :). file X 5811530 . G C NLGN4X 17 10544696 . GA G MYH3 9 96439004 . C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
TEXT2PS(L)																TEXT2PS(L)

NAME
text2ps - convert text files to PostScript SYNOPSIS
text2ps [ options ] [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Text2ps reads the input files (standard input if none are specified) and produces PostScript code which, when fed to a PostScript printer, will print the files. With text2ps it is possible to select any font, point size and number of columns. Options and files can be inter- mixed on the command line. Options are effective for all following files until they are overridden. Options Here follows a list of options that text2ps recognizes. Most numeric arguments are significant to one decimal place. Options are evalu- ated from left to right. Later options override earlier ones. -# n Print n copies of each page. (Default 1.) -c n Print in n columns. (Default 1.) -f font Print using font font. (Default Courier.) -p n Print with point size n. (Default 9.) -v n Use a vertical spacing of n points. If the vertical spacing is set to 0, the spacing will be 1.2 times the point size. (Default 0.) -l n Print n lines per column. When the line count is 0, print as many lines as will fit. (Default 0.) -r [p|l] Set the orientation to either portrait mode (p) or landscape mode (l). (Default p.) -b [+|-] Set page break mode. An argument + will force new files to be always printed on a new page (this is the default). After - new files will be put on the same page if there are still empty columns and the number of columns, the orientation or the number of copies didn't change. New files always start new columns. (Default -.) -mt n The top margin is n points. (Default 63.) -mb n The bottom margin is n points. (Default 63.) -ml n The left margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mr n The right margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mg n The inter-column gap is n points. (Default 25.) -t [+|-] If the argument is + the name of the file being printed will be printed on each page. If the argument is - the file name will not be printed. -t + implies -b +. -T text Print text as title on each page. This implies -t - and -b +. This option can be switched off by specifying -t - or -t +. (Default no title.) -F font Set the title font to font. (Default Helvetica.) -P n Set the title point size to n. (Default 12.) -B n Draw borders around each page. The number n specifies how to draw borders. N can have any of the following values or-ed in: 1 Draw a line along the left of the page. 2 Draw a line along the bottom of the page. 4 Draw a line along the right of the page. 8 Draw a line along the top of the page. 16 Draw a line between columns. This line does not connect to the lines along the top or bottom. 32 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the top. 64 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the bottom. When n is 0, no border lines are drawn. (Default no bordering lines.) -w n Tab stops are set every n spaces. Set the width of the TAB character. (Default 8.) -1 Sets up options to print in one column in portrait mode with the Courier font, so that you get 66 lines on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 1 -f Courier -p 9 -v 0 -r p -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59. This is the default. -2 Sets up options to print in two columns in landscape mode with the Courier font, so that you get two 66-line columns on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 2 -f Courier -p 6 -v 0 -r l -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59 -mg 25. Together with the -1 option, this is probably the most useful option. The name - means standard input. BUGS
Too many options. There is no way to specify where the title will be placed. If the font being used is not a constant width font and there are other characters than just tabs and spaces in front of a tab, the next character may not align properly. TEXT2PS(L)