Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replacing | with a comma
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replacing | with a comma Post 302529714 by radoulov on Friday 10th of June 2011 07:30:41 AM
Old 06-10-2011
Code:
tr \| , < infile >_new && mv -- _new infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing comma's with newlines using sed

Hi All, silly question that I'm sure is easy to answer for a more experienced coder... I have a file called test.txt containing the following text... need, to, break, this, line, into, individual, lines using sed, I'd like to make the file look like this... need to break this line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_coder
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing Comma by Tab

Hi All, i have a file test.txt as shown below, 1,test,test111 2,rest,rest222 i want to replace the commas by tab delimiter.., it should be like, 1 test test111 2 rest rest222 i tried the following code, sed 's/,/\\t/g' test.txt >> ouptut.txt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Serious Sam
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing dot for comma

I wanted to change 34.66 to 34,66. I tried the command: sed 's/./,/' $NUM Where $NUM is a variable with 34.66 value. The output is ,4.66 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdalmeida
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing underscore with white space after comma.

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help.. I've used this forum a couple of times and I am back again now i've moved onto something more complex (for me!) I have some data which looks like: "AL1_1,AL1_1," "AL1_1.AL1_1A.AL1_1AE,AL1_1AE," "AL1_1.AL1_1A.AL1_1AG,AL1_1AG," "AL1_1.AL1_1A.AL1_1AJ,AL1_1AJ,"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gman
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppressing space replacing by comma

hi i want to replace spaces by comma my file is ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204802 ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204803 ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204804 ADD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - replacing 6th comma with a space

Hi, How can I replace the 6th comma on each line (of a csv) with a space? Any online tutorials with plenty of examples using sed would be very useful. Alex (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replacing the comma in .csv file in unix

Hi All, Could some one help me on one of my requirement below: I have a sequential file with 4fields in it and it is a comma (,) seperated file. Delimeter is 'comma'. But in of the file column for ex: 3rd column it is 'Description' (column name) I am getting the values with commas.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay_s
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Comma delimiter coming inside the data.

Hello, I am having flat file (Comma Delimiter) and the data in the file is as given below. EMPNO, ENAME, DESIGNATION, SALARY 10979, Arun Kumar, Cosultant, 35000 13555, Bidhu Shekar, Senior Consultant, 45000 15000, Kiran, Kumar, Senior, Consultant, 40000 If... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunvasu2
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Sed (replacing parenthesis and comma)

I have the following text as an input text: input.txt Results('Toilet', 'Sink', ) and i want to remove the last comma so the output is output.txt Results('Toilet', 'Sink' ) I tried using the following sed command, but I get a parsing error: sed s/, \)/\)/g input.txt >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add previous text when replacing comma with new line

Hi, I've got this output: # cat test2.txt TM1ITP1-TMNLSTP1 SLC00=0,SLC01=0,SLC02=0,SLC03=0 if I just use cat test2.txt | tr "," "\n" I'll end up very near to what I'm trying to achieve: TM1ITP1-TMNLSTP1 SLC00=0 SLC01=0 SLC02=0 SLC03=0 But how can i eventually add the term... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
PIPE(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe -- create descriptor pair for interprocess communication SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int *fildes); DESCRIPTION
The pipe() function creates a pipe, which is an object allowing unidirectional data flow, and allocates a pair of file descriptors. The first descriptor connects to the read end of the pipe, and the second connects to the write end, so that data written to fildes[1] appears on (i.e., can be read from) fildes[0]. This allows the output of one program to be sent to another program: the source's standard output is set up to be the write end of the pipe, and the sink's standard input is set up to be the read end of the pipe. The pipe itself persists until all its associated descriptors are closed. A pipe whose read or write end has been closed is considered widowed. Writing on such a pipe causes the writing process to receive a SIGPIPE signal. Widowing a pipe is the only way to deliver end-of-file to a reader: after the reader consumes any buffered data, reading a widowed pipe returns a zero count. RETURN VALUES
On successful creation of the pipe, zero is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and the variable errno set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pipe() call will fail if: [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are active. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [EFAULT] The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), write(2), fork(2), socketpair(2) HISTORY
A pipe() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution