Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep empty space and sort
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep empty space and sort Post 302529698 by kumaran_5555 on Friday 10th of June 2011 05:25:36 AM
Old 06-10-2011
As you mentioned about sort,

Code:
grep -v "common" file|sort

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How will you list only the empty lines in a file (using grep)

How will you list only the empty lines in a file (using grep) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JosephGerard
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

empty space in java command through unix

I need to pass an empty space in the command ="java ......... " as one of the arguments where java calls some java command.... (It accepts it in windows as " ") Thanks in advance SD (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help required on printing the line if third field is not a empty space

Hi Experts, I want to print the lines whose third field in non-empty/blank space. i.e. INPUT FILE/B] dcdccghjrry0yd cont dcdccttrk820529 cont rdekedfsSCr dcdccttrdky2d0y cont rdekedfsSC2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krao
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for empty file

I have a program that takes a file in which I use a sed to remove some data that is not needed. If all of the data is removed. I want to grep for that in the file and print that there is no data left in the file. When I use sed, I replace a word with nothing but it still seems to leave a return... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: plawr
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort and find duplicates for files with no white space

example data 5666700842511TAfmoham03151008075205999900000001000001000++ 5666700843130MAfmoham03151008142606056667008390315100005001 6666666663130MAfmoham03151008142606056667008390315100005001 I'd like to sort on position 10-14 where the characters are eq "130MA". Then based on positions... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmarshall
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace space with empty

Hi All, My Input is: 111.121 23212121 121.231 12678878 My output should be 111.12123212121 121.23112678878 in each row i need to replace that perticular space with empty. 8th position in the file for all rows. Please help me in this case .. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju4u
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a file content with space

Hello, I need help on. I have a File which stores the information as below. It is space separated file, I want to keep only unique record in file based on file name. Also if you notice sometime filename with space appear in last column like (abc_ xyz1_bc12_20140312_c.xlsx) 03/17/2014 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar30213
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file is empty or has blank space.?

Hi, I am using KSH. I am trying to check if the output file is empty or not. I tried with ] but what i see is my file is empty but still manages to have a size of 1 instead of 0. But my file doesnot have anything its empty. I am not sure how to check this. can any one help? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue using empty variable in grep command

Hi, I'm writing a shell script and trying to grep a variable value, it works fine as long as there is a value in /tmp/list.out which is captured in $DSK but sometimes the file tends to be empty and that is where I'm having an issue while using grep which returns nothing. I know I can use something... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert newline when grep result is empty

Given a csv file with 40 columns with name, address, hometown etc. I use a bash command in 1 line which: 1. gets the address column and pipes that to 2. grep the first digit and everything that follows Command: awk -F ";" '{print $19}' /Users/jb/Desktop/ReorderTempTotal.csv | grep -o "\d.*"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBVeenstra
7 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)