Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris IPMP
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris IPMP Post 302529688 by hergp on Friday 10th of June 2011 04:18:15 AM
Old 06-10-2011
It's like a mini cluster of two network interfaces, one is active and one is standby. The active interface holds the IP addresses used for production. If it fails, a special daemon (in.mpathd) moves the IP addresses to the standby interface.

If an interface is working or not is determined by the link status and optionally by ping other machines from both the active and the standby interface (using addresses reserved for this purpose).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing (IPMP) Help

Hello All, I work for a Health care company at a local trauma hospital. I maintain a Picture Archiving and Communication System (PAC's). Basically, any medical images (X-Ray, CT, MRI, Mammo, etc) are stored digitally on the servers for viewing and dictation from diagnostic stations. I took over... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegeek
10 Replies

2. Solaris

Does Veritas Cluster work with IPMP on Solaris 10?

Does Veritas Cluster work with IPMP on Solaris 10? If anyone has set it up do you have a doc or tips? I have heard several different statements ranging from , not working at all to Yes it works! Great How? * Test and Base IPs???? * configure the MultiNICB agent ? I can give details... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dfezz1
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Ipmp

Hi All, Kindly help me in configuring IPMP or guid me to some link, tried goggling however no luck. Thanks in anticipation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
1 Replies

4. Solaris

how to configure IPMP in solaris 9

Hi friends , can anyone provide me the complete steps to configure IPMP in solaris 9 or 10 provided i have two NIC card ? regards jagan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaganblore
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Link Based IPMP on Shared IP Solaris Zone

Hi, This may have already been raised previously so sorry for the duplication. What I want to achieve is have a physical server using link based IPMP setup in the global zone (not problem doing that) and then create a zone set as Shared-IP so when the servers NIC has an issue the IP will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giles.cardew
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 branded zone with IPMP

All. I am trying to create a 10 branded zone on a Sol 11.1 T5. The Global is using IPMP...so aggregating is out of the question. Has anyone successfully created a branded zone with IPMP? If they have can you please show me the steps you took to get this to run. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeroforce
4 Replies

7. Solaris

IPMP over aggregate in Solaris 11

hi all, i start with solaris 11 and i am disapointed by the change on ip managing. i want to set a ipmp over tow aggregate but i dont find any doc and i am lost with the new commande switch1 net0 aggregate1 | net1 aggregate1 |-----| |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sylvain
1 Replies

8. Solaris

New to Solaris IPMP (conversion from Linux)

Hi all, I been reading examples of how to setup IPMP and how it differs from Etherchannel. However, i am still unsure of how it really works and i hope gurus here can shed some light on the questions I have below while i will lab it up for my own test -> q1) for IPMP, there is no such thing... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
23 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 IPMP - failback=no

Hi all, Just a few questions -> Is an "OFFLINE" interface going back to "ONLINE" consider as a failback by IPMP ? I have "FAILBACK=no" in my /etc/default/mpathd; however when i do the following (igb0 and igb7 are in the same ipmp link based group) q1) why does "if_mpadm -r igb7" cause... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
0 Replies

10. Solaris

IPMP group failed on Solaris 9

Hi, I have Solaris-9 server, V240. I got alert that one of the interface on IPMP configuration, is failed. Found that two IPs (192.168.120.32 and 192.168.120.35) are not pingable from this server. These two IPs were plumbed on another server and that is decommissioned now. That is the reason,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies
LO(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     LO(4)

NAME
lo -- software loopback network interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device loop DESCRIPTION
The loop interface is a software loopback mechanism which may be used for performance analysis, software testing, and/or local communication. As with other network interfaces, the loopback interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2). The loopback interface should be the last interface configured, as protocols may use the order of configuration as an indication of priority. The loopback should never be configured first unless no hard- ware interfaces exist. DIAGNOSTICS
lo%d: can't handle af%d. The interface was handed a message with addresses formatted in an unsuitable address family; the packet was dropped. SEE ALSO
inet(4), intro(4), ns(4) HISTORY
The lo device appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Previous versions of the system enabled the loopback interface automatically, using a nonstandard Internet address (127.1). Use of that address is now discouraged; a reserved host address for the local network should be used instead. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 5, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution