Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: initial setup for iconv
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting initial setup for iconv Post 302529673 by sk1418 on Friday 10th of June 2011 03:29:07 AM
Old 06-10-2011
iconv changes the encoding, but not the content.
in your case, you could apply sed 'y/[allYourRussianLetters]/abcd...z/' command on all your 20-23 source files. to do the "translation"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

about iconv

I want to use iconv.h to convert some text to another charset. The code is below: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <iconv.h> int main() { iconv_t cd; char instr="汉字"; char *inbuf; char *outbuf; unsigned int insize=7; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yong
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iconv and xmllint

Here is my question, volume of records processed : 5M ( approx ) Its basically very simple operation that am trying to do and I had achieved the output that am interested. What am looking for really is to improve the performance, an optimized way to do that. with respect to iconv, am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

3. AIX

AIX virtualization: IVM initial network setup

I have a system model 505 p server. I am trying to virtualize my server. My network admin has given me 10 IP addresses (with the DNS already updated with names that map onto each ip). E.g.: IP1 maps to m1.lab, IP2 maps to m2.lab, etc I have been following the redpaper "Integrated Virtualization... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsaix
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with iconv command

Hi , I am using iconv command to convert a file in UTF-16 format to UTF-8 format. This command will work for few files but for some showing an error as bad input character. But if i copy the contents of the file for which it is showing "bad input character" to a new file and perform the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shruthi8818
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with iconv command

Hi , I am using iconv command to convert a file in UTF-16 format to UTF-8 format. This command will work for few files but for some showing an error as bad input character. But if i copy the contents of the file for which it is showing "bad input character" to a new file and perform the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shruthi8818
2 Replies

6. AIX

GPFS initial setup, but perhaps this is a SAN/VIO question

I'm having some trouble getting a POC of GPFS up and running. I've read a couple install guides including a couple IBM pdfs but I'm getting stumped on something I think is fairly fundamental.... I'm trying to do this all on a single 795, right now only the VIOs have HBAs so all LUNs are pointed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with command iconv

I need to convert a utf16 file to utf8. When i use the iconv command to do so it gives an error saying invalid function. When I ran the iconv -l function it did not list the utf16 and utf8 as part of its internal table. Is there anyway I can add these encodings in the library? Is there any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaun
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

DNS question about initial Master/Slave setup

Hey everyone. I'm creating a DNS master/slave server set up. I have the configurations all done I believe, the master has the required zone file, and the named.conf file has the allow transfer and allow query stuff set. The slave has it's own configs set. My question is that when initially... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Iconv on large files

Hi All, I am using iconv to convert huge files. the process is getting killed. I tried the option in below link https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/258825-iconv-large-files.html i.e iconv -f UCS-2 -t UTF-8 < inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt However, the process still gets... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies
YAZ-ICONV(1)							     Commands							      YAZ-ICONV(1)

NAME
yaz-iconv - YAZ Character set conversion utility SYNOPSIS
yaz-iconv [-f from] [-t to] [-v] [file...] DESCRIPTION
yaz-iconv converts data in file in character set specified by from to output in character set as specified by to. This yaz-iconv utility similar to the iconv found on many POSIX systems (Glibc, Solaris, etc). If no file is specified, yaz-iconv reads from standard input. OPTIONS
-ffrom] Specify the character set from of the input file. Should be used in conjunction with option -t. -tto] Specify the character set of of the output. Should be used in conjunction with option -f. -v Print more information about the conversion process. ENCODINGS
The yaz-iconv command and the API as defined in yaz/yaz-iconv.h is a wrapper for the library system call iconv. But YAZ' iconv utility also implements conversions on its own. The table below lists characters sets (or encodings). that are supported by YAZ. Each character set is marked with either encode or decode. If an encoding is encode-enabled YAZ may convert to to the designated encoding. If an encoding is decode-enabled, YAZ may convert from the designated encoding. marc8 (encode, decode) The MARC8[1] encoding as defined by the Library of Congress. Most MARC21/USMARC records usees this encoding. marc8s (encode, decode) Like MARC8 but with conversion prefers non-combined characters in the Latin-1 plane over combined characters. marc8lossy (encode) Lossy encoding of MARC-8. marc8lossless (encode) Lossless encoding of MARC8. utf8 (encode, decode) The most commonly used UNICODE encoding on the Internet. iso8859-1 (encode, decode) ISO-8859-1, AKA Latin-1. iso5426 (decode) ISO 5426. Some MARC records (UNIMARC) uses this encoding. iso5428:1984 (encode, decode) ISO 5428:1984. advancegreek (encode, decode) An encoding for Greek used by some vendors (Advance). danmarc (decode) Danmarc (in danish)[2] is an encoding based on UNICODE which is used for DanMARC2 records. EXAMPLES
The following command converts from ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) to UTF-8. yaz-iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 -X <input.lst >output.lst FILES
prefix/bin/yaz-iconv prefix/include/yaz/yaz-iconv.h SEE ALSO
yaz(7) iconv(1) NOTES
1. MARC8 http://www.loc.gov/marc/specifications/speccharmarc8.html 2. Danmarc (in danish) http://www.kat-format.dk/danMARC2/Danmarc2.4.htm#felt+Indl.+4 YAZ 4.2.30 04/16/2012 YAZ-ICONV(1)