Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in retrieving the ending line numbers of the functions Post 302529648 by abk07 on Friday 10th of June 2011 02:21:19 AM
Old 06-10-2011
Bug Help in retrieving the ending line numbers of the functions

Hi! I've a C file which consist of many function definitions with numbers at the beginning as shown below..

Code:
10 void search()
11 {
12 /*body
14 *
15 *
17 *
18 *
40 *
42 *
60 }
90 void func_name()
95 {
99 /*body
100 *
105 *
111 *
112 *
130 *
135 }

I need to retrive the number at which the function begins and ends..
I mean the function 'search' begins at number 10 and ends at number 60.
In the same way the function 'fun_name()' begins at number 90 and ends at 135..
I can somehow get the beginning line number of the functions using grep..
But how can I get the ending line number??
Note: The numbers used will not be in the order, and there might be many opening and closing braces in the functions..

How can I do it??
Thanks in advance.. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line ending with '}" to new line

Hello masters. I have a rather simple problem but its been killing me. I have a file "x" with only 1 line inside it. The line looks something like Now this is only part of the line. Its actually about 4000 characters. What i need to do is whenever there is a "}", i need to append the next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Retrieving command line arguments of a particular PID

hi The "ps" command shows the command line arguments of running processes: $ /bin/ps -o pid,args -e .... 26031 pico /tmp/crontab2KaG1Y 596 /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m 9955 xterm -n 1 -sb -sl 800 -g 80+70+70 2627 /usr/sbin/snmpd -Lsd -Lf /dev/null -p /var/run/snmpd -a 1691 .... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving random numbers out of a text file

Hi one and all, I'm working on a Bash script that is designed to calculate how much IP traffic has passed through a port to determine traffic volume over a given amount of time. I've currently been able to use the netstat -s command coupled with grep to write to a file the total packets... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving data from 65th col (of each line) ?

Hello Friends, I am in situation where I have to note down few SQL queries from specific hexdump format. Here is an example (the query text starts at 65th character on each line) ---------------------- 0x000007FEB0E701C0 : 7365 6C65 6374 2063 7573 746E 6F2C 2020 select custno, ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunusernewbie
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving values from a line in text file

Hi, I am new to Unix/ksh script and will like to check how do I retrieve just the count of '258' in the last line in a text file ? There will be this "TRL" appended with number of count at the last line in a text file . TRL0000000258 var=`grep 'TRL' $HOME/folder/test.txt | wc -l` ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowfrost
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieving line number from grep

Hi. im trying to retrieve the line number from grep. i have 1 part of my code here. grep -n $tgt file.txt | cut -f 1 -d ":" when i do not cut the value i have is 12:aaa:abc:aaa:aaa:aaa how can i store the value of 12 or my whole line of string into a variable with grep? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: One_2_three
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting files ending in numbers with "sort"

I have a group of files that I need to be sorted by number. I have tried to use the sort command without any luck. ls includes* includes1 includes10 includes11 includes12 includes2 includes3 includes4 includes5 includes6 includes7 includes8 includes9 I have tried ls includes*... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pring starting and ending numbers using UNIX

Hi all, I need to do scrip for printing starting and ending numbers along with count in given file.:wall: Input: a.txt 10000030 10000029 10000028 10000027 10000026 10000024 10000023 10000021 10000018 10000018 10000017 10000016 10000015 10000014 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackbell2013
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove '.' from file for numbers ending in '.'

Hi, I have numerous files which have data in the following format A|B|123.|Mr.|45.66|33|zz L|16.|33.45|AC.|45. I want to remove decimal point only if it is last character in a number. O/p should be A|B|123|Mr.|45.66|33|zz L|16|33.45|AC.|45 I tried this sed -e 's/.|/|/g' Problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
6 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [-v "string"] [pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2 Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3 Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4 Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)