Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Change the display format for ls -l command in AIX Post 302529343 by ctsgnb on Thursday 9th of June 2011 05:58:14 AM
Old 06-09-2011
It is your choice :
- Modify a system that works to make it behave as expected with poorly coded scripts
or
- Fix your poorly coded scripts to make it behave as expected on a system that works

IMO you should obviously choose that second option .

I am very sorry to tell you that leaving bad code just because there are numerous (i.e. because of lazyness) is a VERY BAD reason ... in my opinion

So the best piece of advice i can give you is : yes, you need to fix ALL the scripts in which you use such a way of getting datas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Analogue of Format Command in AIX for IBM

I need to install AIX 5.3 on an RS/6000 Server. When i boot from an AIX 5.3 CD i get an option to upgrade to 5.3 from 5.2(existing OS). Is there a way by which i can force AIX to perform a new install with creating new partitions. I am looking for the analogue of 'Format' command in AIX that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestoption
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls command format display

Hi I have 3 files $ ls -l -rw-r--r-- 1 osbadmin osbadmin 427701 Apr 22 12:06 SANITY_TEST -rw-r--r-- 1 osbadmin osbadmin 427701 Apr 22 12:06 Success 123333 -rw-r--r-- 1 osbadmin osbadmin 427701 Apr 22 12:06 Success 123333 (1) I need to see this "SANITY_TEST" "Success 123333" "Success... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

3. AIX

Single command to change the attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host

Hi, I would like to know if there is a command similar to scsimgr in HP-UX that can help me change the algorithm and reserve_policy attributes of all luns presented to an AIX host. Otherwise I would have to use, chdev -l hdiskX -a algorithm=round_robin reserve_policy=no_reserve in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanna_geekworkz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format of SED command to change a date

I have a website. I have a directory within it with over a hundred .html files. I need to change a date within every file. I don't have an easy way to find/replace. I need to change 10/31 to 11/30 on every single page at once. I tried the command below but it didn't work. Obviously I don't know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustsawmars
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change date format in 'last' command?

hi.. i am new to here. can anybody tell me how can we change the date format in the 'last' command. EX- on running last command i am getting -- rruat pts/12 172.18.40.101 Tue May 3 12:59 still logged in rruat pts/10 blr2-3f-239.asco Tue May 3 12:59 - 13:09 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thearpit
2 Replies

6. AIX

Change AIX display resolution ?

Hello, Running X on AIX local display - want to change resolution. On Linux for example I used xrandr. ? thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display date in mm/dd/yy format in sed command

Hi All, Following is my issue. $MAIL_DOC = test.txt test.txt contains the following text . This process was executed in the %INSTANCE% instance on %RUNDATE%. I am trying to execute the following script var=`echo $ORACLE_SID | tr ` NOW=$(date +"%D") sed -e... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 Sparc. How to change Vendor info of SAN disks reported in "format" command?

Greetings! After block level migration using an external appliance, the luns are getting reported as DGC-RAID5 and these luns are infact from the new storage. I have a query on changing the device Vendor info from DGC-RAID5 to HP3par in the format o/p only. AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_Bhaskar
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date format change in AIX

Hi I have a date format in a variable as Apr 7 03:35:59 EDT 2016. how do i change it to 04/07/2016 03:35:59 EDT format (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushma123
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to change the format of an Excel from exponential to text through UNIX command?

How to change the format of an excel from exponential to text through UNIX command We have a pipe delimited file in which one particular A column is a combination of number+text and while converting into excel using tr command it is generating a exponential data for the A column. Kindly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbiramiRaja
2 Replies
BADSECT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						BADSECT(8)

NAME
badsect -- create files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
badsect bbdir sector ... DESCRIPTION
The badsect utility makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which pro- vides a forwarding table for bad sectors to the driver. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard it is much preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks, since the bad block forwarding makes the pack appear perfect, and such packs can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by this program is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect cannot make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector which is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard DEC formatter. Thus to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard badsect may be used to good effect. The badsect utility is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount the file system, and change to its root directory. Make a directory BAD there. Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. (The sector num- bers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, but this is not hard as the system reports relative sector numbers in its console error messages.) Then change back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck(8) remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. The badsect utility works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When it is discovered by fsck(8) it will ask ``HOLD BAD BLOCK ?''. A positive response will cause fsck(8) to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. DIAGNOSTICS
The badsect utility refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. SEE ALSO
fsck(8) HISTORY
The badsect utility appeared in 4.1BSD. BUGS
If more than one sector which comprise a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one of them to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files actually cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD