Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using foreach with two lists
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using foreach with two lists Post 302528967 by SimonWhite on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 09:52:07 AM
Old 06-08-2011
Thanks for the reply. I'll copy and paste my code. I tried to make it simpler for the initial post but I think this might make it clearer:

file.txt

Code:
Group_ID: A1991
OBS_ID: 914 3188 3189
BIN_ID: 2000 100 500

shell script:

Code:
#! /bin/tcsh 
# IMAGE PROCESSING SCRIPTS

set g=(`cat file.txt | grep 'Group_ID' | cut -d ':' -f2`)
echo $g
set obs_id=(`cat file.txt | grep 'OBS_ID' | cut -d ':' -f2`)
echo $obs_id
set b=(`cat file.txt | grep 'BIN_ID' | cut -d ':' -f2`)
echo $b

foreach f (${obs_id})
foreach b (${b})
echo $f
echo $b

cd ${f}

bin_radial.csh ${g}/${g}_${f}.set ${b}
prep_spec_files.csh ${g}/${g}_${f}.set ${g}/prof/${b}

end

So I was hoping that it would run through the two .csh scripts with the combinations of (914, 2000) then (3188, 100) and finally (3189, 500). The script above does it in the following order, (914, 2000), (914, 100), (914, 500), (3188, 500) and finally (3189, 500).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by SimonWhite; 06-08-2011 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Added code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach command ?!

SaLAam What is the best way to change a word withing a files name. I know I'm not clear enough I will give example : - I have in /test/test N number of files like this 1662_WAITING 1666_WAITING 1670_DONE 1678_DONE 1663_WAITING 1667_WAITING 1673_WAITING ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach/grep help!

#!/bin/bash foreach x (67402996 67402998) { grep -a x FINAL2006.dat >> MISSING_RECORDS.dat } I'm trying to pass a list to the variable x, and then grep for that string in FINAL2006.dat... Final2006.dat is in the same folder as my .sh file. I call this with a .cmd file... At any rate,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimWork
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop

What am I doing wrong with this foreach loop? foreach var ($argv) @sum = $sum + $var (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haze21
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi Guys, I have a loop which uses a wildcard i.e. foreach f (*) but when I execute the tcsh file in unix then it gives me an error ->>>>>>>foreach: words not parenthesized<<<<<<<<<<- Any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abch624
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi everyone Does anyone know what is wrong with this script. i keep getting errors foreach filename (`cat testing1`) set string=$filename set depth=`echo "$string" echo $depth end the error is the following testing: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `(' testing: line 1:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach question

OK, so I am extremely rusty and am just getting back to Unix after 9 years. I'm stuck on something easy. I want to search line-by-line for a string in a file, and I want to do this to a series of files in a directory. This works fine to do the search: while read i; do grep $i file2; done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Create non-duplicate lists from two lists

File_A contains Strings: a b c d File_B contains Strings: a c z Need to have script written in either sh or ksh. Derive resultant files (File_New_A and File_New_B) from lists File_A and File_B where string elements in File_New_A and File_New_B are listed below. Resultant... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlv_99
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning foreach

im newbie at shell scripting. why do the following code #!/bin/tcsh setenv CBC ~/cbc/models/ foreach mix (p00p00 p02p00 p02p04) echo $mix cp $CBC/*$mix*Gyr*fits $mix/ end print(copy) only the first mix? % ./copyfromcbc.sh p00p00 wasn't it supposed to run through all words... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prtc
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach issue

Hello, I found that this foreach should work with two lists (source: Wikipedia.org) foreach i {1 2 3} j {a b c} { puts "$i $j"} == I try smth. like: With two text files: first.part second.part foreach first (`cat first.part`) second (`cat second.part`) toolcommand $first... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown7
22 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)