Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Does inittab needs system restart? Post 302528937 by verdepollo on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 09:23:47 AM
Old 06-08-2011
The main difference between multiuser networked runlevels (in RHEL-based systems) are the services they launch on startup.

Runlevel 3 is virtually the same as runlevel 5 (assuming you are using default settings), except that the latter will also bring up the graphical window server (X11).

It does not need a reboot; the same way you do not reboot your computer when you start or stop a system service.

If you go from runlevel 3 to 5, it won't cause any harm to the current users or processes. However if you do it the other way around (from level 5 to level 3), all applications running on X11 will basically halt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inittab solaris

Hi! Is it possible to add more ttys in Solaris, like with inittab in Linux? I want to switch between the ttys with Alt F1+F2+F3 .... like Linux does. How can i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donald1111
1 Replies

2. AIX

Execute a command at the system restart

Hi Folks, I have an AIX server and I would like the server to run the command saprouter -r at every system restarts. It needs to be run by a specific user. How would I do that? Thanks!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
1 Replies

3. Solaris

inittab in Solaris 10

Hi, In Solaris 9 and below release we are using the rc script in inittab. I don't have much idea abt inittab in Solaris. In Solris 9 and below: We use rc3 script to start up the server. And we run database script before the rc3. os:23:respawn:/etc/init.d/database start >/dev/null 2>&1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
7 Replies

4. Solaris

inittab entry does not works

Hi, I have a solaris 10 server,which has a process running that communicates with other system.I have made following entry in the inittab file. PM15:s12345:respawn:/ncm/bin/communicator PM15 : Unique process ID s12345 : run levels respawn : if anytime the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What breaks inittab

Today there was a situation where processes running from inittab was broken. Can someone help me understand, how to find out, who might have stopped those processes? Or how does it get broken? G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

6. AIX

problem to restart services from /etc/inittab in AIX6.1

hello, i have an AIX6.1.7.2 machine that it was upgraded recently from AIX5.3.9.4. when i kill system services that should restart automatically like /usr/sbin/cron it doesnt start. i checked my /etc/inittab file and i confirmed that this service is in respawn status so when i kill this process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inittab configuration

I am installing BusyBox on a device that does not have keyboard or serial connection, so I log into the system with SSH. I am in doubt about what to put in the inittab file. This is the content of the file: ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS ::respawn:/bin/login ::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richard78
1 Replies

8. Linux

How to add a entry in inittab?

Hi All, I am booting by Linux box with the run level 3 and it gets booted successfully. I want to execute a script once the system is up and running in the run level 3. I was trying to add a entry to /etc/inittab to execute my script once the system is up. I have added the below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling by inittab

Hi to all , i wrote a small script and i add it to inittab to start the script during Startup. The script works fine , if i call it from the prompt but if it is call from inittab it is runnng too but it does not recognize system variable like USER , LOGNAME. Since i running out of ideas i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
12 Replies

10. Red Hat

No VolGroup00 found after restart of the system

I am facing the following issue after giving a restart (init 6) of my RHEL 5.9 system. As a result,the system is not starting after a restart. Can somebody help me to trouble shoot the issue. Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
7 Replies
RUNLEVEL(8)							     runlevel							       RUNLEVEL(8)

NAME
runlevel - Print previous and current SysV runlevel SYNOPSIS
runlevel [options...] OVERVIEW
"Runlevels" are an obsolete way to start and stop groups of services used in SysV init. systemd provides a compatibility layer that maps runlevels to targets, and associated binaries like runlevel. Nevertheless, only one runlevel can be "active" at a given time, while systemd can activate multiple targets concurrently, so the mapping to runlevels is confusing and only approximate. Runlevels should not be used in new code, and are mostly useful as a shorthand way to refer the matching systemd targets in kernel boot parameters. Table 1. Mapping between runlevels and systemd targets +---------+-------------------+ |Runlevel | Target | +---------+-------------------+ |0 | poweroff.target | +---------+-------------------+ |1 | rescue.target | +---------+-------------------+ |2, 3, 4 | multi-user.target | +---------+-------------------+ |5 | graphical.target | +---------+-------------------+ |6 | reboot.target | +---------+-------------------+ DESCRIPTION
runlevel prints the previous and current SysV runlevel if they are known. The two runlevel characters are separated by a single space character. If a runlevel cannot be determined, N is printed instead. If neither can be determined, the word "unknown" is printed. Unless overridden in the environment, this will check the utmp database for recent runlevel changes. OPTIONS
The following option is understood: --help Print a short help text and exit. EXIT STATUS
If one or both runlevels could be determined, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
$RUNLEVEL If $RUNLEVEL is set, runlevel will print this value as current runlevel and ignore utmp. $PREVLEVEL If $PREVLEVEL is set, runlevel will print this value as previous runlevel and ignore utmp. FILES
/run/utmp The utmp database runlevel reads the previous and current runlevel from. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.target(5), systemctl(1) systemd 237 RUNLEVEL(8)