Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Explanation reqd for the Unix file Post 302528869 by Skrynesaver on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 06:33:41 AM
Old 06-08-2011
It rather depends on what
Code:
cat $(which ncm_AdjCob.pl)

reports

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of UNIX filesystems

Could someone please tell me where I can get an explanation of the UNIX filenames and there functions, e.g. /usr, /etc, /var . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andy_power
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Explanation of File Cache entry in prtmem

Dears, I use memtool to check the memory usage within a server, it runs Solaris 2.6; unfortunately memtool does not have a binary for SunOS 2.6 sparcv7. So I am a bit helpless in determining where exactlt the memory dedicated to File Cache has gone. Note that the server runs a relational data... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJim
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Help Reqd

Hi I am facing the problem where my HP Unix system date is in accordance with the current date but the logs written by the same is of previous time stamp. Eg. System Date - Thu Mar 15 18:00:04 IST 2007 Syslogs - Mar 15 12:30:10 mac@1 ftpd: FTP LOGIN FROM xx.xxx.xxx.xx , main The ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PradeepRed
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

command reference sheet reqd.

hi everybody, i m AIX guy.... due 2 some reason i was also askd 2 work in HP-UX so i think all d concepts r same as AIX.... so i thought it s easy to learn by comparitve study.... if so then wr can i get the materials???????? thanks in advance........ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checklist for Shell Script reqd

Hi, Can anyone provide me with the Code Review Checklist for Shell scripts ?? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help reqd

Hi, I have below requirement that I need to do it using AWK. Files ==== File1: data file that has thousands of recs File2: Lookup file I need to compare the position 21-31 of File1 with 1-11 of File2. If matched then write to new output file(outfile1) else write to another output... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathy153
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix shell script reqd...

Task: Short Description: To find the files in a particular directory for the previous day, sort them by date and time and e-mail it across to a particular id. And the time is divided into eight fields and based on the time the respective field should be updated with the flag 1. Eight... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - help Reqd

Hi, I need someone's help in writing a shell script. Since am very new i am stuck . I have 2 files in the same dir. ============================================== FileA Table1~07/07/2009 00:00:00~4 Table1~07/06/2009 00:00:00~41 Table1~07/08/2009 00:00:00~4 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayarajvp
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation reqd

Hi, i have a script of following content #!/usr/bin/sh 'exit 255' USR1 ncm_CheckDir.pl -a /cnt/mgr/test/working/applog_CheckDir.log -c /cnt/mgr/test/lib/config/bp_CheckDir.conf -s /cnt/mgr/test/log/syslog filename : BC_CheckDir when i execute ie : sh BC_CheckDir i am getting... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: psthariharan
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reqd in shell scripting..

Hi guys, I am new to shell scripting and I need urgent assistance. I have an xml like : <AgreementNumberFull>13-WY-84252</AgreementNumberFull> <AgreementNumberAbbr>WY84252</AgreementNumberAbbr> <LineOfBusiness>F</LineOfBusiness> <CompanyCode>0005</CompanyCode> <UniqDigit/> <StateCode/> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneetkanchi
9 Replies
compact(1)						      General Commands Manual							compact(1)

Name
       compact, uncompact, ccat - compress and uncompress files, and cat them

Syntax
       compact [name...]
       uncompact [name...]
       ccat [file...]

Description
       The  command compresses the named files using an adaptive Huffman code.	If no file names are given, the standard input is compacted to the
       standard output.  The command operates as an on-line algorithm.	Each time a byte is read, it is encoded immediately according to the  cur-
       rent  prefix  code.   This code is an optimal Huffman code for the set of frequencies seen so far.  It is unnecessary to prepend a decoding
       tree to the compressed file since the encoder and the decoder start in the same state and stay synchronized.  Furthermore, and can  operate
       as filters.  In particular,
	    ... | compact | uncompact | ...
       operates as a (very slow) no-op.

When  an  argument file is given, it is compacted and the resulting file is placed in file.C; file is unlinked.	The first two bytes of the
       compacted file code the fact that the file is compacted.  This code is used to prohibit recompaction.

The amount of compression to be expected depends on the type of file being compressed.  Typical values of compression are: Text (38%), Pas-
       cal Source (43%), C Source (36%) and Binary (19%).  These values are the percentages of file bytes reduced.

The command restores the original file from a file compressed by If no file names are given, the standard input is uncompacted to the stan-
       dard output.

The command cats the original file from a file compressed by without uncompressing the file.

The command is present only for compatibility.  In general, the command runs faster and gives better compression.

Restrictions
       The last segment of the file name must contain fewer than thirteen characters to allow space for the appended '.C'.

Files
       compacted file created by compact, removed by uncompact

See Also
       compress(1)

compact(1)