Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Parent/child directory permission Post 302528722 by alister on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 09:43:14 PM
Old 06-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie121
The problem is, now user A cannot access dir4 (cd /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 gives a permission denied error).

I have to set dir3, dir2, dir1 to 755 in order for it to work, but I do not want them to be able to see those directories.

Do i have something set up wrong?
Nope. For a directory to become the current working directory requires that the user have search/execute permissions on every component of the pathname.

Regards and welcome to the forum,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill parent and child

Hello all, I have gone through the search and looked at posting about idle users and killing processes. Here is my question I would like to kill an idle user ( which I can do) but how can I asure that all of his process is also killed whit out tracing his inital start PID. I have tried this on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Permission denied message for parent directory

Hi All, I have an issue that's eating my head for few days. I would appreciate if anyone could help me out in this to resolve this. In Solaris 8 container I am facing the below issue. As oracle user when I do ls -l in /dboracle mountpoint getting permission denied error messages. $ ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreerag446
3 Replies

3. Programming

To share fd between parent and child

i used function fork(). so i made two process. parent process accepted socket fd and writing to shared memory. then now. how can child process share parent's socket fd? is this possible? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrew.paul
1 Replies

4. AIX

Parent directory seems to disappear if child fails rename

If I have a file/folder that a user does not have permission to and I try to rename it, it removes the entire parent folder. At that point it is only visible in a ls. (Not a ls -l, file, more, cd). It happens on every filesystem. This is Aix 5.3 $ cd test $ ls -la total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptr2be
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with deleting childīs parent and child subprocess

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to make an program that in a loop creates one parent and five children with fork(). The problem i'm trying to solve is how to delete the parent and child of the childīs process. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhiteFace
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parent and child directory

does anyone know how to check in an 'if' statement if a particular directory is a child directory of a particular directory? help ~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent Child directory and file details

Kindly help below command details in UNIX. 1.What is the Unix command to see parent and child directory details starting from root directory in tree structure using LS-LRT or any other way 2.What is the Unix command to see parent and child directory details starting from root directory in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory I am running the web app with tomcat8, I did use umask 007 to set permission for folder which enable the sub files and folder inherit the permission from the parent directory, I was successful which some directories but the directories... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janecaongoc
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory

Asking about the permission inherit from the parent directory I am running the web app with tomcat8, I did use umask 007 to set permission for folder which enable the sub files and folder inherit the permission from the parent directory, I was successful which some directories but the directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janecaongoc
2 Replies
sticky(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.11 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)