Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Is Unix/Linux used in space exploration? Post 302528700 by alister on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 06:24:42 PM
Old 06-07-2011
While it's not about UNIX/Linux, this write up on the space shuttle software development process should be of interest to anyone keen on space exploration and software development: They Write the Right Stuff | Fast Company

Regards,
Alister

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux space problem

I am very new to Linux and trying to install Oracle 9.2 on Red Hat Linux 7.2. My problem: /tmp needs to be larger in order to install Oracle. It is 64MB now. How can I resize this? I'm totally confused !! Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: canova
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

upper limit of accessible memory space for a single process in Unix/Linux

Hellp all, if there is 3G memory in my Unix server I want to know if all the 3G space can be used by ong sigle process. As i know, in Windows, one process can only access at most 1G memory despite there is probably more than 1G memory is equipped. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

about shared memory space in Linux !

Dear Friends , I am confused about shared memory in Linux . plz look @ the below output : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 126G 61G 59G 52% / tmpfs 1.7G 0 1.7G 0% /dev/shm Here , I see that every time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much take space Linux operating system?

Hi Guys, I have a PC (laptop), where ram is 1 GB, hard disk is 400 GB, Now in my PC has window7 & oracle 10g, suppose if we now installed linux then will my system work or we should remove window7 now, please let me know that which linux version is take less space in PC. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
3 Replies
HISTORY(5)							File Formats Manual							HISTORY(5)

NAME
history - record of current and recently expired Usenet articles DESCRIPTION
The file /var/lib/news/history keeps a record of all articles currently stored in the news system, as well as those that have been received but since expired. In a typical production environment, this file will be many megabytes. The file consists of text lines. Each line corresponds to one article. The file is normally kept sorted in the order in which articles are received, although this is not a requirement. Innd(8) appends a new line each time it files an article, and expire(8) builds a new version of the file by removing old articles and purging old entries. Each line consists of two or three fields separated by a tab, shown below as : <Message-ID> date <Message-ID> date files The Message-ID field is the value of the article's Message-ID header, including the angle brackets. The date field consists of three sub-fields separated by a tilde. All sub-fields are the text representation of the number of seconds since the epoch -- i.e., a time_t; see gettimeofday(2). The first sub-field is the article's arrival date. If copies of the article are still present then the second sub-field is either the value of the article's Expires header, or a hyphen if no expiration date was speci- fied. If an article has been expired then the second sub-field will be a hyphen. The third sub-field is the value of the article's Date header, recording when the article was posted. The files field is a set of entries separated by one or more spaces. Each entry consists of the name of the newsgroup, a slash, and the article number. This field is empty if the article has been expired. For example, an article cross-posted to comp.sources.unix and comp.sources.d that was posted on February 10, 1991 (and received three min- utes later), with an expiration date of May 5, 1991, could have a history line (broken into two lines for display) like the following: <312@litchi.foo.com> 666162000~673329600~666162180 comp.sources.unix/1104 comp.sources.d/7056 In addition to the text file, there is a dbz(3z) database associated with the file that uses the Message-ID field as a key to determine the offset in the text file where the associated line begins. For historical reasons, the key includes the trailing byte (which is not stored in the text file). HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.12, dated 1996/09/06. SEE ALSO
dbz(3z), expire(8), innd(8), news-recovery(8). HISTORY(5)