Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $1 stays set after sourcing shell script. Post 302528540 by mrwatkin on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 11:00:13 AM
Old 06-07-2011
I think you may be missing my problem. If I run my script with 1 arguments, $# is equal to 1. If I run this script again without arguments, during the same ssh session, $# is still 1. I'm trying to find out how to clear $#, $@, etc. so this doesn't keep holding onto the values.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

set password using a shell script

Hi All How can I set password in linux.It is OK if it display password in plain text in script. manually i can set: #passwd Changing password for root Enter new password: Bad password: too weak. Re-enter new password: Password changed. # I want this to be done by script.Please let me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script sourcing problem (ksh)

I have a script "abc.sh" in /tmp which has exit 0 as its last line when I run this script from /tmp/xyz/def.sh script as . ../abc.sh then the script executes but the control doesn't return to def.sh script for subsequent commands in def.sh but if I invoke the abc.sh from inside the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintain full path of a script in a var when sourcing it from a different script

Hi All, I've searched through the forum for a solution to this problem, but I haven't found anything. I have 2 script files that are in different directories. My first script, let's call it "/one/two/a.sh" looks like this: #!/bin/sh IN_DIR=`dirname $0` CUR_DIR=`pwd` cd $IN_DIR... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrbluegreen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I set up a shell script using ifconfig?

I am running on AIX 5.3. I have a remote AIX server running on a generator. Many times the generator goes out and I only have a window of 15 mins with the network up and 30 mins the server is powered. I need help creating a script using ifconfig, where it goes out and checks the network every 5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX25
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: If a file stays in a particular directory more than 30 min send an email

Hi , I am new to shell scripting. i have a requirement say i will receive a file in a directory say /xyz.if that file stays in that directory more than 30 min i need to get a mail to my outlook.this should run for every 20 min in crontab. can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sourcing variables from another script

My manager required that i keep the hostnames and username and password in a separate file when creating my sftp script. (Don't mention passwords and sftp...I've talk to him about this several times) I have a list of hostnames that have to be read in a loop in my main script. I don't know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJCreations
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sourcing .cshrc (C shell) environment variables to bash

I have tried with the following: csh -c 'source ~/.cshrc; exec bash' # works perfectly (cat ~/.cshrc; echo exec bash) | csh # not working And, using sed, I successfully retrieved the environment variables from ~/.cshrc sed -rn 's/setenv\s+(\S+)\s+(.*)$/export \1=\2/p' ~/.cshrc but now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which serves the below purpose. Please find below the algorithm for the same and any help on this would be highly appreciated. 1)set of strings need to be replaced among set of files(directory may contain different types of files) 2)It should search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amulya
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Resume parent shell after sourcing another script

#! /bin/ksh #first.sh echo "b4 set exit as return" alias exit=return echo "call second" . ./second.sh echo "after second" #. ./third.sh unalias exit echo "ho lanciato il terzo" =================// #second.sh echo "in scond" exit ==============// the above code works in k... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprakasheee
2 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project