Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Detecting dates in foldernames Post 302528521 by Always on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 10:14:07 AM
Old 06-07-2011
Detecting dates in foldernames

Hi,

I will name folders this way : DD-MM-YYYY (07-06-2011 for today).
Code:
DATE=`date +%d-%m-%Y`
mkdir $DATE

They will contain a backup of the day.

I want, in my backup script, add a command that will automatically delete folders that are a week old (in this case, when performing the backup of this day, this will delete the folder named 31-05-2011).
How do I do that ? Or, at least, how do I determine which folder is a week old ?
(Note that the folder names are not definitive and can be named the way it is easier to detect the date)

Thank you very much !

Last edited by Always; 06-07-2011 at 11:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all occurances of a string in all file-/foldernames, recursively

I need a script that will replace all occurances of a string in all filenames and foldernames, recursively. Right now I have this script: for f in `find -name *eye*`; do echo processing $f g=`expr "xxx$f" : 'xxx\(.*\)' | tr 'eye' 'm'` mv "$f" "$g" done The problem is that tr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheMJ
2 Replies

2. Programming

Detecting interruptions in C

Hi. You may know how to detect when a interruption succeeded programming in C. Just like receiving a signal without blocking. Knowing when it was a keystroke (IRQ 2), or a mouse movement (12), or a disk access, etc. and getting actually for example the letter typed. Thanks a lot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashrentum
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to generate all the dates in DDMMYY format between 2 dates

Hello friends, I am looking for a script or method that can display all the dates between any 2 given dates. Input: Date 1 290109 Date 2 010209 Output: 300109 310109 Please help me. Thanks. :):confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

4. Programming

SQL: find if a set od dates falls in another set of dates

Don't know if it is important: Debian Linux / MySQL 5.1 I have a table: media_id int(8) group_id int(8) type_id int(8) expiration date start date cust_id int(8) num_runs int(8) preferred_time int(8) edit_date timestamp ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP id... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertical98
0 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replacing dates]] with (dates)]]

Hi guys, For my wiki site I need to fix 1400 pages that use the wrong date format, most pages (not all) use eg. 1988]] I need to change that to (1988)]] The date range goes back to 1400 so I guess I need to do the following ssh into my server, dump mysql database vi .sql dump search... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in detecting errors

Hi All , I need a script to find errors in a particular and in a particular path Actually in my logs i`ve so many kinds of errors(i can even say as 100 types also).if i run the script i need to know the error (some errors can aviod ) so finally the script o/p should be a numeric... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radha254
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write the dates between 2 dates into a file

Hi All, I am trying to print the dates that falls between 2 date variables into a file. Here is the example. $BUS_DATE =20120616 $SUB_DATE=20120613 Output to file abc.txt should be : 20120613,20120614,120120615,20120616 Can you pls help me accomplish this in LINUX. Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating dates between two dates

HI, i have row like this HHH100037440313438961000201001012012073110220002 N in this i have 2 dates in pos 25-32 and 33-40 , so based upon the se two dates , i need to generated records between these two values so in the above record 20100101 and 20120731 need to genearte rows like this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathishsr
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get the Missing dates between two dates in the table?

Hi Am Using Unix Ksh ... I have a Table called date select * from date ; Date 01/02/2013 06/02/2013 I need the output as Missing Date 01/02/2013 02/02/2013 03/02/2013 04/02/2013 05/02/2013 06/02/2013 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display dates between two dates

Hi All, I have 2 dates in mm/dd format. sdate=10/01 (October 01) edate=10/10 (October 10) I need the dates in between these 2 dates like below. 10/01 10/02 10/03 10/04 10/05 10/06 10/07 10/08 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
1 Replies
backintime(1)							   USER COMMANDS						     backintime(1)

NAME
backintime - a simple backup tool for Linux. This is command line tool. The graphical tools are: backintime-gnome and backintime-kde4. SYNOPSIS
backintime [ --backup | --backup-job | --snapshots-path | --snapshots-list | --snapshots-list-path | --last-snapshot | --last-snapshot-path | --help | --version | --license ] DESCRIPTION
Back In Time is a simple backup tool for Linux. The backup is done by taking snapshots of a specified set of folders. All you have to do is configure: where to save snapshots, what folders to backup. You can also specify a backup schedule: disabled, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes, every hour, every day, every week, every month. To configure it use one of the graphical interfaces available (backintime-gnome or backintime-kde4). It acts as a 'user mode' backup tool. This means that you can backup/restore only folders you have write access to (actually you can backup read-only folders, but you can't restore them). If you want to run it as root you need to use 'su'. A new snapshot is created only if something changed since the last snapshot (if any). A snapshot contains all the files from the selected folders (except for exclude patterns). In order to reduce disk space it use hard-links (if possible) between snapshots for unchanged files. This way a file of 10Mb, unchanged for 10 snapshots, will use only 10Mb on the disk. When you restore a file 'A', if it already exists on the file system it will be renamed to 'A.backup.currentdate'. For automatic backup it use 'cron' so there is no need for a daemon, but 'cron' must be running. user-callback During backup process the application can call a user callback at different steps. This callback is "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/backintime/user- callback" (by default $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is ~/.config). The first argument is the progile id (1=Main Profile, ...). The second argument is the progile name. The third argument is the reason: 1 Backup process begins. 2 Backup process ends. 3 A new snapshot was taken. The extra arguments are snapshot ID and snapshot path. 4 There was an error. The second argument is the error code. Error codes: 1 The application is not configured. 2 A "take snapshot" process is already running. 3 Can't find snapshots folder (is it on a removable drive ?). 4 A snapshot for "now" already exist. OPTIONS
-b, --backup take a snapshot now (if needed) --backup-job take a snapshot (if needed) depending on schedule rules (used for cron jobs) --snapshots-path display path where is saves the snapshots (if configured) --snapshots-list display the list of snapshot IDs (if any) --snapshots-list-path display the paths to snapshots (if any) --last-snapshot display last snapshot ID (if any) --last-snapshot-path display the path to the last snapshot (if any) -h, --help display a short help -v, --version show version --license show license SEE ALSO
backintime-gnome, backintime-kde4. Back In Time also has a website: http://backintime.le-web.org AUTHOR
This manual page was written by BIT Team (<bit-team@lists.launchpad.net>). version 1.0.10 Mars 2009 backintime(1)