Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare contents of two files Post 302528249 by newpromo on Monday 6th of June 2011 07:19:48 PM
Old 06-06-2011
Thank you for your reply, but it does not fullfil the need.

Here is my exp :

Code:

$ cat file1
3 22
4 33
6 77
$

Code:
$ cat file2
1 22
5 77
$

Code:
$ cat file3
(3 - 1) 22
$

But i need the the output file to be like :
$ cat file3
2 22 =========> (3 - 1) = 2
1 77 =========> (6 - 5) = 1

Can we do it with loop :
for i in file1
for j in file2
if (i==j)
echo ...

?

Thank you

---------- Post updated at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:13 AM ----------

Can you please help me with my question as it's quit urgent ?

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare array contents with file

I have an array "arrA" with the following contents: A0012 Paint Shop.doc ES001 Contract Signature.doc Budget Plan.pdf TS PWS.pdf My data file "Files.dat" has the same contents: A0012 Paint Shop.doc ES001 Contract Signature.doc Budget Plan.pdf TS PWS.pdf I have a script that compares... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & replace contents within a file

I have 2 files file1 1 TMQUEUE QUE1 STMW633A 100 DMADM DOMGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633AA STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW638A STMW638A 100 TMSYSEVT EVTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 TMSYSEVT ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh137
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare contents of two CSV rows

I have been trying to find the answer to this but can't seem to get it. I have two rows, both are CSV files. I want to iteratively compare each field value to the corresponding value in the second file. Example: File 1.txt 1|hello|3.2|AMB||||B File 2.txt 1|hi|3,2|ABC||||C The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: axwack
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and remove all the contents of one file from another

Hi, I have two files, in which the second file has exactly the same contents of the first file with some additional records. Now, if I want to remove those matching lines from file2 and print only the extra contents which the first file does not have, I could use the below unsophisticated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the contents of two directories

i have been asked to write a bash shell script comparing two directories and sed or awk should not be used in this assignment. compdir will compare filenames in two directories, and list information about filenames that are in one directory but not the other. The information listed will be a long... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soccerball
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare folder contents over network

I use diff -r dir1 dir2 to get comparison of two folders that are on same machine. Now I need the same thing but one of the folders is on a different machine. Currently I ftp the folder to a temp folder compare using above command and delete the temp folder. Is there any other better options?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ke3kelly
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to compare file contents

Hello Has anyone got an example shell script that I can use to compare the contents of two files. The files should contain the same contents, eg. file1.txt apple pear grape file2.txt apple pear grape (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two file contents which created within one hour?

Hi Gurus, I need to compare two file contents and log the difference. the detail as below: in current directory there is file abc20140728_1020.txt abc20140728_1110.txt I need to find the files which created within 60 minutes first then compare the contents. I am able to use find... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
12 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-beflnstuv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command line order. A single dash represents the standard input, and may appear multiple times in the file list. The word ``concatenate'' is just a verbose synonym for ``catenate''. The options are as follows: -b Implies the -n option but doesn't number blank lines. -e Implies the -v option, and displays a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line as well. -f Only attempt to display regular files. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Implies the -v option, and displays tab characters as '^I' as well. -u The -u option guarantees that the output is unbuffered. -v Displays non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ascii characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), hexdump(1), lpr(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1), view(1), vis(1), fcntl(2) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is expected to conform to the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! This is performed by the shell before cat is run. BSD
September 23, 2006 BSD