Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign Line Numbers to each line of the file Post 302528064 by abk07 on Monday 6th of June 2011 11:10:59 AM
Old 06-06-2011
Bug Assign Line Numbers to each line of the file

Hi! I'm trying to assign line numbers to each line of the file
for example consider the following..
The contents of the input file are

Code:
hello how are you?
I'm fine.
How about you?

I'm trying to get the following output..

Code:
1 hello how are you?
2 I'm fine.
3 How about you?

Note:The number has to be followed by a space not a tab..

Any idea of how to do it??
Thanks in advance..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add line numbers to end of each line

Hi i would like to add line numbers to end of each line in a file. I am able to do it in the front of each line using sed, but not able to add at the end of the file. Can anyone suggest The following code adds line number to start of each line sed = filename | sed 'N;s/\n/\t/' how can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question About Getting Line Numbers in a File

Ok, this is a unique question. Say I have a word like "jamamamama" in a file called foo.bar. Now, how do you get the line number that the word "jamammama" exist in the file foo.bar without having to go into the foo.bar file to edit it? is there a command i can run on the foo.bar... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to process line by line and assign value to variables

Hi, there I have a file with tab and space as field separator. I need to assign values to variables then work with them, line by line. The code I wrote only works when each line has only one word. It doesn't work for the current situation. for line in `cat file.txt`; do ID=`awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwzkevin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

EXPECT: Assign variable by reading a line of text from a file

Hi All, I have been using a program on windows called AutoKey. My environment at work is Linux and I have been experimenting with expect. Very powerful. I can move my AutoKey scripts to Linux using Expect once I am educated on how to read from a file using Expect. My application would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quemalr
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign numbers with decimals from a line to a variable

I am trying to assign a string of numbers with their decimals to a variable. The code reads a file called 'log'. I have not included the entire file since it's huge. The line is: Tagging release with the label program-2.8.114...My code: BUILDNUMFORSIT=$(egrep 'Tagging release with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgffgs
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a two files, line by line in UNIX script and how to assign shell variable to awk ..?

Input are file and file1 file contains store.bal product.bal category.bal admin.bal file1 contains flip.store.bal ::FFFF:BADC:CD28,::FFFF:558E:11C5,6,8,2,1,::FFFF:81C8:CA8B,::FFFF:BADC:CD28,1,0,0,0,::FFFF:81C8:11C5,2,1,0,0,::FFFF:81DC:3111,1,0,1,0 store.bal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assign line from file to variable

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. Need help with the below requirement. I need help to read a log file and line containing word ORA needs to be captured into a variable and the values of the variable need to be inserted into a table. For E.g. file test.sql has below error: ORA-01017:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricsharm
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do While Loop + Read From File + assign line to a variable

Hello, I am using below code for reading from a file and assigning the values to a variable , but it is loosing the value after the loop , please suggest to retain the value of the variable after the loop , while IFS=: read -r line do set $dsc=$line echo 'printing line variable ' $line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How To Read a File and Assign the line values to an Array?

i have this basic code that i wrote to read a file and place it's values to an array. the source/input file will have multiple strings on it that is separated by a whitespace. sample_list.txt file contents: ACCT1 TABLE1 ACCT2 TABLE2 ACCT3 TABLE3 script file: sample_list.sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
3 Replies
dxdiff(1X)																dxdiff(1X)

NAME
dxdiff - Motif visual differences program SYNOPSIS
dxdiff [options] [file1 file2] OPTIONS
Specifies the color of the window's border (color displays only). The default is black. Specifies the color of the window's background (color displays only). The default is white. Specifies the display screen where dxdiff displays its window. If the display option is not specified, dxdiff uses the display screen specified by your DISPLAY environment variable. The display option has the format hostname:num- ber. Using two colons (::) instead of one (:) indicates that DECnet is to be used for transport. The default is :0. For more information, see X(1X). This option is the same as the -d option. Specifies the color of the text (color displays only). The default is black. Spec- ifies the font used as the output font. The default font is times_bold12. Specifies the width, length, and location of the dxdiff window. If the geometry option is not specified, dxdiff uses default values. The geometry option has the format [widthxlength][{+-}x{+-}y]. For more information about the screen coordinate system, see X(1X). Disables linked vertical scrolling. Enables linked vertical scrolling. This is the default. Disables linked horizontal scrolling Enables linked horizontal scrolling. This is the default. Enables the display of filled polygons to connect areas of different text. This is the default. Enables the display of lines to connect areas of different text. Disables the display of line numbers in the difference region. Enables the display of line numbers in the difference region. This is the default. Specifies the foreground color for the line numbers in the difference box. The default is black. OPERANDS
Specifies the two files that are to be opened at startup. If you do not specify any file names, dxdiff lets you specify files after it has started up. DESCRIPTION
The dxdiff application does a line-by-line comparison of two files and displays the differences between them. The contents of the two files are displayed in two text regions on either side of a central difference region. The differences between the files are displayed as high- lighted text. The differences are connected by lines or filled polygons across the central difference region. Line numbers are optionally displayed at each end of the difference lines, to show where the differences occur within the files. Note that the files must be ASCII text files. MENUS
The dxdiff window contains the following menus: File Options Differences Help File Menu The dxdiff File menu contains the following menu items: Calls up two Open... dialog boxes, to allow you to specify the two files that you want to compare. The dialog boxes are labeled Left File and Right File. You must select one file from each dialog box. Exits the current dxdiff session. If the session is the original one, all other dxdiff sessions and windows are closed. Options Menu The Options menu contains the following menu items: The default is linked vertical scrolling. When linked vertical scrolling is on and you scroll one of the files, the other file is scrolled with it line for line. When linked vertical scrolling is off, one file can be scrolled independently of the other one. The default is linked horizontal scrolling. When linked horizontal scrolling is on and you scroll one of the files, the other file is scrolled with it. When linked horizontal scrolling is off, one file can be scrolled independently of the other one. Displays either lines or filled polygons to connect the differences across the difference box. The default on startup is for filled polygons to be displayed. Displays line numbers at each end of the lines that connect the differences. The default is to display line numbers. If dxdiff cannot find a suitable font size for displaying the line numbers, this item is disabled. Differences Menu The Differences menu contains the following items: Displays the differences between the two currently selected files. Opens a new dxdiff window to display the differences between the two currently selected files. The existing dxdiff window remains on the screen for refer- ence. Help Menu The Help Menu button invokes a help window that provides information on dxdiff. X DEFAULTS
The dxdiff application uses the values in the file when you logged in and uses the appropriate resource specification to customize the appearance or characteristics of its displayed dxdiff window. The format for a resource specification in the file is: [*name*]resource: value Specifies the application name or the name string that restricts the resource assignment to that application or to a component of an appli- cation. If this argument is not specified, the resource assignment is globally available to all X applications. Specifies the resource. Specifies the value that is to be assigned to the resource. For more information, see X(1X). Because each toolkit-based application can consist of a combination of widgets (for example, push buttons and a scroll bar), you can form the name string by adding widget class and name identifiers to the string. For further information about adding class and name identifiers, see X(1X). For dxdiff, the available class identifiers are: XmLabel XmPushButton XmRowColumn XmScrollbar XmText For dxdiff, the available name identifiers are: The application class name The application name The entire display, which includes all of the components of the window The main menu bar, which includes the pull-down menus The file selection dialog box for selecting a file to be displayed in the left text display region The file selection dialog box for selecting a file to be displayed in the right text display region The File pull-down menu The Open button on the File menu The Exit button on the File menu The Options pull-down menu The Linked Ver- tical Scrolling On/Off button on the Options menu The Linked Horizontal Scrolling On/Off button on the Options menu The Display Diffs As Lines/Filled Polygons button on the Options menu The Display Line Numbers button on the Options menu The Differences pull-down menu The Do Differences button on the Differences menu The Do Differences In New button on the Differences menu The text region display, which includes both the left and the right text display regions, each of which include the file name bars, the vertical scroll bars, the push button region and the text panes The region where the lines connecting the differences are displayed The file name bars at the top of each text region The vertical scroll bars The region where the file contents are displayed The push button region at the bottom of each text display region The Next Diff push button The Prev Diff push button In addition to the general resources listed in X(1X), the resources available for dxdiff are: Enable or disable linked vertical scrolling. The default is on. Enable or disable linked horizontal scrolling. The default is on. Enable or disable display of line numbers in the difference region. The default is on. Enable or disable use of lines to connect areas of different text. The default is off. If drawing of lines is disabled, filled polygons are used. Specify the foreground color for line numbers in the difference box. EXAMPLES
To change the background color of the dxdiff text regions, add the following entry to your file: dxdiff*textdisplay*background: blue To change the background color of the push button region at the bottom of the window, add the following entry to your file: dxdiff*displaymenu*background: red FILES
SEE ALSO
diff(1), mwm(1X), X(1X) dxdiff(1X)