Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Saving a temporary output within a script Post 302527820 by tukuyomi on Sunday 5th of June 2011 05:34:01 PM
Old 06-05-2011
what's the output of my_command alone?
Does my_command is something along echo $(...)
If so, remove the echo $( ) and keep what's inside ...

What about if you cat "$TEMPFILE" instead of echo?
And what is the system you're on?

Last edited by tukuyomi; 06-05-2011 at 06:50 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help regarding saving information within a script!

I have 2 files. File 1 exports variables globally, File 2 pulls in the information into itself and displays it. I need to know how to then save the information into the bottom of File 2, allowing for more information to be added at a later date. The scripts i've written are below. File 1:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: phproxy
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving output from awk into a perl variable

How would I pass awk output to a perl variable? For example, I want to save the value in the 4th column into the variable called test. My best guess is something as follow, but I am sure this isn't correct. $test = system("awk '/NUMBER/{print \$4}' $_"); (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

saving command output to a variable

Hello, I have a shell script containing a command string in the following format: command1 | command2 | cut -c9-16 The output from this is a record number (using characters 9-16 of the original output string) e.g. ORD-1234 I wish to save this value to a variable for use in later commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philjo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh to multiple hosts and saving the output in the local host

hi I have a script to login from a host "A" to a list of hosts in a file and perform some commands inside it...its somethin like this for i in `cat file` do ssh -t $i " command1 ; command2; ..." done I wanna save the outputs in a file in the current host "A" i.e from where I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving output from bash into a file

I am ssh to many servers to get some information... however sometimes the server is unreacheable and i am getting an error. I want to save that output to a file but I am not able to do so... I want to be able to save output of bash into a file.. so when I run this command on a script ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eponcedeleonc
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory using grep....plz ...

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt msisdn ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping and saving output of each line separately

I have been trying this program for a long time. I am trying to read a file named "odon" line by line; read the first line, send it to do a command saved in a file "perm", once the first line has finished going through the content of the file perm, the result is saved with the number of the line.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: iconig
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files with file name as output

Hi, i need help with a file creation of an output program. I've got a program that with #find creates an output for each files in a directory. If i give this command : -o spec$(date -u +%Y%m%dt%H%M) it creates just one file, overwriting all the others since it is the creation date .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command is saving output as blank file

Hi, I am working on a script where I am adding adding colors to few of the info in the output. Now , after that is done , I see colour codes in log files which I don't want to see.:mad::mad::mad::mad: So , I tried using sed command in script as below which gives me o/p (new.log) as blank file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dream4649
7 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD