Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Saving a temporary output within a script Post 302527789 by tukuyomi on Sunday 5th of June 2011 11:40:03 AM
Old 06-05-2011
Does /dir1/dir2 exist?
If so, do you own enough rights to write into it?
I don't see any references to $TEMPFILE in your samples scripts.
And $TEMPDIR/$TEMPFILE can be merged to $TEMPFILE alone for simplicity, ex:
TEMPFILE='/dir1/dir2/tempfile', but it's up to you to choose if you want to have tempdir and tempfile separates, that does not affect the script at all.

Last edited by tukuyomi; 06-05-2011 at 12:46 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help regarding saving information within a script!

I have 2 files. File 1 exports variables globally, File 2 pulls in the information into itself and displays it. I need to know how to then save the information into the bottom of File 2, allowing for more information to be added at a later date. The scripts i've written are below. File 1:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: phproxy
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving output from awk into a perl variable

How would I pass awk output to a perl variable? For example, I want to save the value in the 4th column into the variable called test. My best guess is something as follow, but I am sure this isn't correct. $test = system("awk '/NUMBER/{print \$4}' $_"); (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

saving command output to a variable

Hello, I have a shell script containing a command string in the following format: command1 | command2 | cut -c9-16 The output from this is a record number (using characters 9-16 of the original output string) e.g. ORD-1234 I wish to save this value to a variable for use in later commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philjo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh to multiple hosts and saving the output in the local host

hi I have a script to login from a host "A" to a list of hosts in a file and perform some commands inside it...its somethin like this for i in `cat file` do ssh -t $i " command1 ; command2; ..." done I wanna save the outputs in a file in the current host "A" i.e from where I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving output from bash into a file

I am ssh to many servers to get some information... however sometimes the server is unreacheable and i am getting an error. I want to save that output to a file but I am not able to do so... I want to be able to save output of bash into a file.. so when I run this command on a script ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eponcedeleonc
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory using grep....plz ...

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt Code: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some Help for file filteration and saving the output in other directory

Hi all........ Plss do help me.......in a big trouble... :wall::wall::wall: I have 3 directories named as :1. /home/shuchi/source 2./home/shuchi/destination 3./home/shuchi/filter now the problem is /home/shuchi/source has say 2 files with extension .txt as given below : A.txt msisdn ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping and saving output of each line separately

I have been trying this program for a long time. I am trying to read a file named "odon" line by line; read the first line, send it to do a command saved in a file "perm", once the first line has finished going through the content of the file perm, the result is saved with the number of the line.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: iconig
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving files with file name as output

Hi, i need help with a file creation of an output program. I've got a program that with #find creates an output for each files in a directory. If i give this command : -o spec$(date -u +%Y%m%dt%H%M) it creates just one file, overwriting all the others since it is the creation date .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command is saving output as blank file

Hi, I am working on a script where I am adding adding colors to few of the info in the output. Now , after that is done , I see colour codes in log files which I don't want to see.:mad::mad::mad::mad: So , I tried using sed command in script as below which gives me o/p (new.log) as blank file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dream4649
7 Replies
dircmp(1)							   User Commands							 dircmp(1)

NAME
dircmp - directory comparison SYNOPSIS
dircmp [-ds] [-w n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
The dircmp command examines dir1 and dir2 and generates various tabulated information about the contents of the directories. Listings of files that are unique to each directory are generated for all the options. If no option is entered, a list is output indicating whether the file names common to both directories have the same contents. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Compares the contents of files with the same name in both directories and output a list telling what must be changed in the two files to bring them into agreement. The list format is described in diff(1). -s Suppresses messages about identical files. -w n Changes the width of the output line to n characters. The default width is 72. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: dir1 A path name of a directory to be compared. dir2 USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of dircmp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of dircmp: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. (Differences in directory contents are not considered errors.) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 dircmp(1)