Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX The largest dump device is too small. Post 302527785 by koschi on Sunday 5th of June 2011 11:02:50 AM
Old 06-05-2011
Not exactly, increasing the dumpl LV lg_dumplv will be the solution, can be done with a simple extendlv... Check the second dump device (if any) as well...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. AIX

The largest dump device is too small

1.what is dump device in AIX?... 2. i m getting this error message The largest dump device is too small. when i check the paging space , it is used only 41% any help welcome (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: click007
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk second largest, third largest value

I have two text files like this: file1.txt: 133 10 133 22 133 13 133 56 133 78 133 98 file2.txt: 158 38 158 67 158 94 158 17 158 23 I'm basically trying to have awk check the second largest value of the second column of each text file, and cat it to its own text file. There... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
13 Replies

4. AIX

change the primary dump device of a vio server

Hi how to change the primary dump device in a vio server ? $ ioslevel 2.2.0.11-FP-24 SP-01 $ oem_setup_env # sysdumpdev -l primary /dev/sysdumpnull secondary /dev/hd6 copy directory /var/adm/ras forced copy flag TRUE always allow dump TRUE dump... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

5. AIX

Dump device

Hi all I have a query about dump device in aix, i asked this question on interview. what is dump device, how to add dump device & its work. kindly give this answer, thanks in advance. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reply.ravi
1 Replies

6. Solaris

dedicated crash dump device

Hello Guys, I need a little help here. I have been studying crash dump and per what I am reading, you can dedicate a slice to use as a dump device. Now when you dedicate this slice, do you have to : 1) create a mount point? 2) add entry in /etc/vfstab? 3) is this slice wu or wm? 4) should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 11.2 dump device "kernel without ZFS metadata"

I've never seen this, is it normal for 11.2? Anyway to change it back to dumping metadata or is this simply an overly verbose message I may ignore? kernel without ZFS metadata (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX dump device not showing accurate size

I am trying to configure dump devices on my AIX server. Running 7100-03-04-1441. My dump device needs to be about 2GB in size. My PP Size is 1024MB, so I create the device with 2 PPs. When I run lslv on the dump device, it shows the 2 PPs, and a PP Size of 1024 megabytes. However, a dumpcheck... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
4 Replies
savecore(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       savecore(8)

Name
       savecore - save a core dump of the operating system

Syntax
       /etc/savecore [ options ] dirname [ system ] [ corename ]

Description
       The  command  is  meant	to  be called near the end of the file.  The command saves the core dump of the system (assuming one was made) and
       writes a reboot message in the shutdown log.

The command checks the core dump to be certain it corresponds with the current running ULTRIX.  If it does, it saves the core image in  the
       file  dirname/vmcore.n and saves the namelist in the file dirname/vmunix.n.  The trailing .n in the pathnames is replaced by a number which
       increments each time is run in that directory.

After saving the core and namelist images, will save the error logger buffer into a predetermined file.	The error logger  buffer  contains
       information about why the crash occurred.  After completes, the daemon will extract the error logger file and translate its contents into a
       form familiar to the program.

Before writes out a core image, it reads a number from the file dirname/minfree.  If there are fewer free blocks  on  the  filesystem  that
       contains  dirname  than the number obtained from the file, a core dump is not done.  If the file does not exist, savecore always writes out
       the core file (assuming that a core dump was taken).

The command also writes a reboot message in the shut down log.  If the system crashed as a result of a panic, also records the panic string
       in the shut down log.

For  partial  crash  dumps,  creates  a	sparse	core image file in dirname/vmcore.n.  If this sparse core image file is copied or moved to
       another location, the file expands to its true size which can take too much file system space.  Hence, to copy or move  sparse  core  image
       files, you must use the command. The command has a conversion option to create sparse output files.

Options
       -c   Clears  the core dump.  This option is useful when the core dump is corrupted in a way that will not allow to save it safely.  Use the
	    option with caution, because once it clears the core dump, the core dump cannot be retrieved.

-d dumpdev dumplo
	    Specifies the dump device and the dump offset when running on a system image other than the currently running system image.  The  pro-
	    gram  assumes  that  the running system image is and it reads the dump device and dump device offset are different in the system image
	    that crashed, the option provides the correct dump device and dump device offset.

-e   Saves only the error logger buffer into a file.  If used, core or namelist images are not saved.

-f corename
	    Takes the i corefile name as the file from which to extract the the crash dump data instead of the default dump device.   This  option
	    is used only for diskless workstations.

If  the	core  dump was from a system other than /vmunix, the name of that system must be supplied as system.  The program assumes that the
       running image is

After successful completion, the core dump is cleared.  Also, a message is written in the file which tells whether the  dump  succeeded	or
       failed.

Files
       Shut down log

Current running ULTRIX system

See Also
       dd(1), uerf(8)

savecore(8)