Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with spaces in filename Post 302527774 by colsinc on Sunday 5th of June 2011 09:46:39 AM
Old 06-05-2011
Fixed :)

Hi Scrutinizer. Thanks for your reply, it really helped! My script is working now. I post the working script here as an example for anyone with a similar problem. I have implemented Scrutinizers suggestions and made some other changes as well.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# A script to rescue data recursively using ddrescue.

srcDir=/damaged/hdd/movies/              #the source directory
desDir=/new/hdd/movies/                 #the destination directory
workDir=/new/hdd/movies/ddrescue        #location to store logs and working files

#preamble: I have already run rsync to copy files, but some failed part way through.

`rsync -rvn --size-only $srcDir* $desDir | sed "/speedup/d" | sed "/bytes\/sec/d" | sed "/sending\ incremental/d" | sed "/^$/d" > $workDir/work` #cut rsync's list to filenames only.

workLength=`wc -l < "$workDir/work"`     #Find number of files in list.  For use with incrementing.
bookmark=0                #Begin at first entry in list.

while [ $bookmark -lt $workLength ]
do
    bookmark=`expr $bookmark + 1`        #increment through the list
    currJob=`cat $workDir/work | sed -n ''$bookmark'p'`    #extract filename to work on
    FnScurrJob=`cat $workDir/work | sed -n ''$bookmark'p' | sed "s/\//--/g" | sed "s/\ /-/g"`    #creates a version of the file path suitable for use as a file name by replacing / with --
    echo "Start Rescue on " $currJob >> $workDir/runlog    

from=$srcDir$currJob        
    to=$desDir$currJob
    log=$workDir/ddlog-$bookmark--$FnScurrJob.txt

ddrescue "$from" "$to" "$log" | tee $workDir/ddoutput-$bookmark--$FnScurrJob.txt
    echo `cat $workDir/ddoutput-$bookmark--$FnScurrJob.txt | grep -B 2 Finished | grep errors` >> $workDir/runlog
done
exit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file using sh with spaces in filename

Hi I am trouble parsing through a file with spaces in the filename. I need to grab "supportIDPS/SCM/windows_install/file groups/dds.fgl" and then do a md5sum on it. I am using sh. Any help is appreciated. Here is an example of the input file: 7eedbc9f7902bf4c1878d9e571addf9a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jekl5
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files with spaces in the filename

Hi I am having difficulty copying files from one dir to another due to a space in the names of the file with an extension .rtf There are a group of files and the command am using is cp `ls -rt /wlblive/home/whiops/ops/RTFs/*.rtf|head -20` /wlblive/home/jamshed Since the files are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamshedj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with spaces in filename

I have a text file containing files in a directory structure i.e. /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_aug03 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/comb8121sep02n /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_feb04_ons /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/corpsick_jun06 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/jcpjoiners200507... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp var for filename with spaces

Hello all, I am having difficulties writing an ftp script to retrieve a file via get using a variable name to pass the file name. I know the name of the file I am going to retrieve, this file name has embedded spaces and punctuation in the name itself. If I interactively use the get and I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filename

Hello I canīt find an answer to my problem. I am trying to tar some files with spaces #!/bin/sh files="/var/installer/server Config /var/installer/client user /var/installer/Svenskt Language /var/installer/GUI user Plugin /var/installer/Firefox Plugin" tar -czvf /tmp/files.tar.gz... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lusen
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing white spaces in filename

Hi; In following code find LOG_DIR -type f | while read filename; do echo $filename; done I want to precede each white space encountered in filename with \ so that when i use $filename for running some commands in do...done,it wont give me an error. will appreciate ur help in this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files with spaces in the filename in a for loop

Hi all, I've been tangoing with this one for a couple of days now and I'm still not making any progress. Basically I'm trying to match three numbers in a string from a text file with matching numbers in a jpeg, and then copying the results to another folder. Data looks like this: Model:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faceonline
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in filename

Hi team, Here's a requirement for me. Here are the list of files i have in a unix directory. W 2 A D_2014.csv W 3 A D_2014.csv W 4 A D_2014.csv /home/kmani00-> uname -a AIX sliyyvxx 1 6 00F613E54C00 /home/kmani00-> The file names has to be without spaces as follows. W2AD_2014.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
EPIPHANY(1)                                                                                                                            EPIPHANY(1)

NAME
epiphany - simple to use web browser for GNOME SYNOPSIS
epiphany [OPTION...] [url] DESCRIPTION
Help options -?, --help Show help options Application options -n, --new-tab Open a new tab in an existing browser window --new-window Open a new browser window -b, --bookmarks-editor Launch the bookmarks editor --import-bookmarks=FILE Import bookmarks from the given file -l, --load-session=FILE Load the given session file -t, --add-bookmark=URL Add a bookmark --private-instance Start a private instance --profile=FILE Profile directory to use in the private instance --display=DISPLAY X display to use --version Show version Epiphany has a comprehensive help system. Run the browser and select Help from the menu. AUTHOR
Written by Marco Pesenti Gritti, Christian Persch and others. GNOME May 2006 EPIPHANY(1)