Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with spaces in filename Post 302527774 by colsinc on Sunday 5th of June 2011 09:46:39 AM
Old 06-05-2011
Fixed :)

Hi Scrutinizer. Thanks for your reply, it really helped! My script is working now. I post the working script here as an example for anyone with a similar problem. I have implemented Scrutinizers suggestions and made some other changes as well.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# A script to rescue data recursively using ddrescue.

srcDir=/damaged/hdd/movies/              #the source directory
desDir=/new/hdd/movies/                 #the destination directory
workDir=/new/hdd/movies/ddrescue        #location to store logs and working files

#preamble: I have already run rsync to copy files, but some failed part way through.

`rsync -rvn --size-only $srcDir* $desDir | sed "/speedup/d" | sed "/bytes\/sec/d" | sed "/sending\ incremental/d" | sed "/^$/d" > $workDir/work` #cut rsync's list to filenames only.

workLength=`wc -l < "$workDir/work"`     #Find number of files in list.  For use with incrementing.
bookmark=0                #Begin at first entry in list.

while [ $bookmark -lt $workLength ]
do
    bookmark=`expr $bookmark + 1`        #increment through the list
    currJob=`cat $workDir/work | sed -n ''$bookmark'p'`    #extract filename to work on
    FnScurrJob=`cat $workDir/work | sed -n ''$bookmark'p' | sed "s/\//--/g" | sed "s/\ /-/g"`    #creates a version of the file path suitable for use as a file name by replacing / with --
    echo "Start Rescue on " $currJob >> $workDir/runlog    

from=$srcDir$currJob        
    to=$desDir$currJob
    log=$workDir/ddlog-$bookmark--$FnScurrJob.txt

ddrescue "$from" "$to" "$log" | tee $workDir/ddoutput-$bookmark--$FnScurrJob.txt
    echo `cat $workDir/ddoutput-$bookmark--$FnScurrJob.txt | grep -B 2 Finished | grep errors` >> $workDir/runlog
done
exit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file using sh with spaces in filename

Hi I am trouble parsing through a file with spaces in the filename. I need to grab "supportIDPS/SCM/windows_install/file groups/dds.fgl" and then do a md5sum on it. I am using sh. Any help is appreciated. Here is an example of the input file: 7eedbc9f7902bf4c1878d9e571addf9a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jekl5
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files with spaces in the filename

Hi I am having difficulty copying files from one dir to another due to a space in the names of the file with an extension .rtf There are a group of files and the command am using is cp `ls -rt /wlblive/home/whiops/ops/RTFs/*.rtf|head -20` /wlblive/home/jamshed Since the files are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamshedj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with spaces in filename

I have a text file containing files in a directory structure i.e. /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_aug03 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/comb8121sep02n /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/datav_feb04_ons /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/corpsick_jun06 /project/hr/raw/jcpdatav/jcpjoiners200507... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp var for filename with spaces

Hello all, I am having difficulties writing an ftp script to retrieve a file via get using a variable name to pass the file name. I know the name of the file I am going to retrieve, this file name has embedded spaces and punctuation in the name itself. If I interactively use the get and I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filename

Hello I canīt find an answer to my problem. I am trying to tar some files with spaces #!/bin/sh files="/var/installer/server Config /var/installer/client user /var/installer/Svenskt Language /var/installer/GUI user Plugin /var/installer/Firefox Plugin" tar -czvf /tmp/files.tar.gz... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lusen
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing white spaces in filename

Hi; In following code find LOG_DIR -type f | while read filename; do echo $filename; done I want to precede each white space encountered in filename with \ so that when i use $filename for running some commands in do...done,it wont give me an error. will appreciate ur help in this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files with spaces in the filename in a for loop

Hi all, I've been tangoing with this one for a couple of days now and I'm still not making any progress. Basically I'm trying to match three numbers in a string from a text file with matching numbers in a jpeg, and then copying the results to another folder. Data looks like this: Model:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faceonline
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in filename

Hi team, Here's a requirement for me. Here are the list of files i have in a unix directory. W 2 A D_2014.csv W 3 A D_2014.csv W 4 A D_2014.csv /home/kmani00-> uname -a AIX sliyyvxx 1 6 00F613E54C00 /home/kmani00-> The file names has to be without spaces as follows. W2AD_2014.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies
pdbtxt2html(1)						      General Commands Manual						    pdbtxt2html(1)

NAME
pdbtxt2html - Doc Text to HTML converter for Palm Pilots SYNOPSIS
pdbtxt2html [ -t ] file.txt [ file.html ] pdbtxt2html -v DESCRIPTION
pdbtxt2html converts text converted from a Doc(4) file via txt2pdbdoc(1) to HTML. If no HTML filename is given, the generated HTML is sent to standard output. Document Title The first line of the file is used for the HTML document title. Bookmarks The last line of the file is examined and, if it contains a string enclosed between < and >, that is taken to be the bookmark marker. The entire file is then scanned looking for lines beginning with it (ignoring leading whitespace). These lines are converted to HTML headings. The number of whitespace characters after the first bookmark marker is used for heading level 1. The level of subsequent headings is set to the number of whitespace characters between the bookmark marker and the bookmark text minus the number for the first bookmark plus one. Embedded URLs Valid URLs (according to RFC 1630) embedded in the text are turned into hyperlinks. The ftp, gopher, http, https, mailto, news, telnet, and wais URLs are recognized. OPTIONS
-t Compile a table of contents and insert it between the first heading and the body. -v Print the version number to standard output and exit. EXAMPLE
To convert a Doc file to HTML: txt2pdbdoc alice.pdb alice.txt pdbtxt2html alice.txt alice.html SEE ALSO
html2pdbtxt(1), txt2pdbdoc(1), doc(4), pdb(4) Tim Berners Lee. Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW, Network Working Group of the Internet Engineering Task Force, June 1994. http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1630.txt AUTHOR
Paul J. Lucas <pauljlucas@mac.com> txt2pdbdoc January 21, 2005 pdbtxt2html(1)