Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newline in my script-built shell variable Post 302527706 by KenJackson on Saturday 4th of June 2011 06:06:51 PM
Old 06-04-2011
I like my method of finding my local IP address better:
Code:
DEVICE="$(netstat -nr | sed -n '/^0.0/s/.* //p')"
test -z "$DEVICE"  &&  { echo "There is no default route"; exit 1; }
IP=$(/sbin/ifconfig $DEVICE 2>/dev/null | sed -n '/inet /s/.*addr:\([0-9.]*\).*/\1/p')

But if you want your external IP address or URL, there's a much more simple way:
Code:
IP=$(curl -s queryip.net/ip/)
URL=$(curl -s queryip.net/url/)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Built-ins in current shell

Hi, Can any one please describe why I am not able to run any built-in commands in current shell? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

built in variable to hold the name of therunning script...

Hi, I have multiple functions that can be called by any shell script. These functions have inbuilt echo statements to logs their activity into a log file. When I run multiple shell scripts that call these functions, they all log into the same log file and I am not able to differentiate which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable assignments specified with eval shell built-in

According to the POSIX specifications eval is a special shell built-in, which should imply that variable assignments specified together with it should remain in effect after the built-in completes. Thus one would expect IFS to be changed after this: var=$'a\nb c' $ IFS=$'\n' eval ' for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk built-in variable for input file

Hi guys, Does awk have a built-in variable which I can use to display the input file it's currently reading? I'm currently concatenating multiple files using awk and later on do some parsing. But for now, I want to add an extra column in the main output data file - basically putting in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Det7
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newline character in a variable

variable="unix\nlinux" echo $variable expected output: unix linux :wall: can i do that ?? thanks in advance!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathish92
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell to Perl I run into shell built in function trap and need alternative in Perl

I am working on converting shell to Perl script. In shell we have built in function trap Do you know alternative in Perl or actually we don't need it? Thanks for contribution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION(3)				     curl_easy_setopt options					 CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION(3)

NAME
CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION - follow HTTP 3xx redirects SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_setopt(CURL *handle, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, long enable); DESCRIPTION
A long parameter set to 1 tells the library to follow any Location: header that the server sends as part of a HTTP header in a 3xx response. The Location: header can specify a relative or an absolute URL to follow. libcurl will issue another request for the new URL and follow new Location: headers all the way until no more such headers are returned. CURLOPT_MAXREDIRS(3) can be used to limit the number of redirects libcurl will follow. libcurl limits what protocols it automatically follows to. The accepted protocols are set with CURLOPT_REDIR_PROTOCOLS(3). By default libcurl will allow all protocols on redirect except those disabled for security reasons: Since 7.19.4 FILE and SCP are disabled, and since 7.40.0 SMB and SMBS are also disabled. When following a Location:, the 3xx response code that redirected it also dictates which request method it will use in the subsequent request: For 301, 302 and 303 responses libcurl will switch method to GET unless CURLOPT_POSTREDIR(3) instructs libcurl otherwise. All other 3xx codes will make libcurl send the same method again. For users who think the existing location following is too naive, too simple or just lacks features, it is very easy to instead implement your own redirect follow logic with the use of curl_easy_getinfo(3)'s CURLINFO_REDIRECT_URL(3) option instead of using CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCA- TION(3). DEFAULT
0, disabled PROTOCOLS
HTTP(S) EXAMPLE
CURL *curl = curl_easy_init(); if(curl) { curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, "http://example.com"); /* example.com is redirected, so we tell libcurl to follow redirection */ curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1L); curl_easy_perform(curl); } AVAILABILITY
Along with HTTP RETURN VALUE
Returns CURLE_OK if HTTP is supported, and CURLE_UNKNOWN_OPTION if not. SEE ALSO
CURLOPT_REDIR_PROTOCOLS(3), CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS(3), CURLOPT_POSTREDIR(3), CURLINFO_REDIRECT_URL(3), ,CURLINFO_REDIRECT_COUNT(3), libcurl 7.54.0 February 03, 2016 CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION(3)