Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newline in my script-built shell variable Post 302527645 by micantox on Saturday 4th of June 2011 04:35:45 AM
Old 06-04-2011
Ok, I'm so sorry to have opened a thread for such a stupid question... I was totally sure to have tried every possible combination. Smilie

Ok, it was the last working day in the week and the last working hour in the day, but... Smilie

Thanks both of you!

M.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Built-ins in current shell

Hi, Can any one please describe why I am not able to run any built-in commands in current shell? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

built in variable to hold the name of therunning script...

Hi, I have multiple functions that can be called by any shell script. These functions have inbuilt echo statements to logs their activity into a log file. When I run multiple shell scripts that call these functions, they all log into the same log file and I am not able to differentiate which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable assignments specified with eval shell built-in

According to the POSIX specifications eval is a special shell built-in, which should imply that variable assignments specified together with it should remain in effect after the built-in completes. Thus one would expect IFS to be changed after this: var=$'a\nb c' $ IFS=$'\n' eval ' for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk built-in variable for input file

Hi guys, Does awk have a built-in variable which I can use to display the input file it's currently reading? I'm currently concatenating multiple files using awk and later on do some parsing. But for now, I want to add an extra column in the main output data file - basically putting in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Det7
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newline character in a variable

variable="unix\nlinux" echo $variable expected output: unix linux :wall: can i do that ?? thanks in advance!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathish92
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell to Perl I run into shell built in function trap and need alternative in Perl

I am working on converting shell to Perl script. In shell we have built in function trap Do you know alternative in Perl or actually we don't need it? Thanks for contribution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
DATE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-qsu] [[MMDDYY]hhmm[ss]] [+format] OPTIONS
-q Read the date from stdin -s Set the time (implicit for -q or a date string) -u Print the date as GMT -t Use this number of seconds instead of current time EXAMPLES
date # Print the date and time date 0221921610 # Set date to Feb 21, 1992 at 4:10 p.m. DESCRIPTION
With the -q flag or a numeric argument, date sets the GMT time and date. MMDDYY refers to the month, day, and year; hhmmss refers to the hour, minute and second. Each of the six fields must be exactly two digits, no more and no less. date always display the date and time, with the default format for the system. The -u flag request GMT time instead of local time. A format may be specified with a + followed by a printf-like string with the following options: %% % character %A Name of the day %B Name of the month %D mm/dd/yy %H Decimal hour on 2 digits %I Decimal hour modulo 12 on 2 digits %M Decimal minute on 2 digits %S Decimal seconds on 2 digits %T HH:MM:SS %U Decimal week number, Sunday being first day of week %W Decimal week number, Monday being first day of week %X Same as %T %Y Decimal year on 4 digits %Z Time Zone (if any) %a Abbreviated name of the day %b Abbreviated name of the month %c Appropriate date & time (default format) %d Decimal day of the month on 2 digits %e Same as %d, but a space replaces leading 0 %h Same as %b %j Decimal dey of the year on 3 digits %m Decimal month on 2 digits %n Newline character %p AM or PM %r 12-hour clock time with AM/PM %s Number of seconds since the epoch %t Tab character %w Decimal day of the week (0=Sunday) %x Same as %D %y Decimal year on 2 digits SEE ALSO
time(2), ctime(3), readclock(8). DATE(1)