Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command Post 302527124 by Scott on Thursday 2nd of June 2011 01:41:41 PM
Old 06-02-2011
Another option:

Code:
$ ls abc 2>&1 | tee log
ls: abc: No such file or directory
$ echo $?

$ set -o pipefail
$ ls abc 2>&1 | tee log
ls: abc: No such file or directory
$ echo $?

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to find the exit status of last command in Unix?

Hi, I want to find the exit status of the last executed command in C Shell. Tried $? but getting the error Variable syntax...$? does not seem to work in C shell.. is there any other command in C shell to find the exit status of last command? Thanks in advance, raju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajugp1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find the exit status for the last executed command

I am executing a find command in my script i.e find $2 -type f -name '*.gif' -mtime +$1 -exec rm {} \; how do i check that this command is executed properly.. i would lke t trap the errror and display my error message kinly help.. this is an urgent issue. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay.amirthraj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the exit status of a remote command

Hi to everyone. How can I get the exit status from a remote command executed with rexec? :eek: machine A has RedHat Linux 9 and the remote machine B has SCO UNIX. Code: rexec -l user -p password host sh /u/files/scripts/seq_cal.sh 2006 08 I want the exit status returned by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zoonalex
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move Command and exit status problem

Hi All, I am using the following code to move files from one folder to another on the remote server: ssh username@server <<EOF cd source_dir find . -type f -name "*.txt" |xargs -n1000 -i{} mv {} dest_dir if then send mail indicating error otherwise echo "success" fi EOF ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: visingha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move Command and exit status problem

Hi All, I am using the following code to move files from one folder to another on the remote server: ssh username@server <<EOF cd source_dir find . -type f -name "*.txt" |xargs -n1000 -i{} mv {} dest_dir if then send mail indicating error otherwise echo "success" fi EOF ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: visingha
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command does not return exit status due to tee

Hi, I am using /bin/sh. I want to display the stdout and stderr on the terminal as well as save it in a file, so I'm using this command. gmake all 2>&1 | tee log But even if gmake fails, it's always giving 0 as exit status, i suppose because of tee. # false 2>&1 | tee Log # echo $? 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand_bh
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Logins command exit status is 236 not 0

I have noticed that on version 11.23 I get exit status 236 from the following command: logins -oxl root ; echo $? > 236 However on 11.31 I get the expected code 0 logins -oxl root ; echo $? > 0 The output is correct for both versions and contains no error data. Can anyone explain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parkea2
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to find exit status of piped command

Lois_Answer_Code=`sipsak -vv -s sip:192.168.1.3|grep -A 1 "reply received after"|grep SIP|awk '{print $2}'`How to find the exit status of | (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit Status Of Find Command

Hello All, I am trying to capture the exit status of find command and want to delete the files only when it is successful. But it is always returning me as success even if the pattern of that file doesn't exist in the current directory. please help, checked manual page but couldn't able to figure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Status of Command

Hi All, I am doing an export and import (datapump) of 4 schema. I know we can do an export of 4 schema in one command. But just want to know how to check the exit status if i do the export/import of 4 schema in different commands in background. Please suggest. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
1 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - set status according to condition SYNOPSIS
test expr DESCRIPTION
Test evaluates the expression expr. If the value is true the exit status is null; otherwise the exit status is non-null. If there are no arguments the exit status is non-null. The following primitives are used to construct expr. -r file True if the file exists (is accessible) and is readable. -w file True if the file exists and is writable. -x file True if the file exists and has execute permission. -e file True if the file exists. -f file True if the file exists and is a plain file. -d file True if the file exists and is a directory. -s file True if the file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t fildes True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is the same file as /dev/cons. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. (Deprecated.) -n s1 True if the length of string s1 is non-zero. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are arithmetically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, or -le may be used in place of -eq. The (nonstandard) construct -l string, meaning the length of string, may be used in place of an integer. These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! unary negation operator -o binary or operator -a binary and operator; higher precedence than -o ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. The primitives -b, -u, -g, and -s return false; they are recognized for compatibility with POSIX. Notice that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to test. Notice also that parentheses and equal signs are meaningful to rc and must be enclosed in quotes. EXAMPLES
Test is a dubious way to check for specific character strings: it uses a process to do what an rc(1) match or switch statement can do. The first example is not only inefficient but wrong, because test understands the purported string "-c" as an option. if (test $1 '=' "-c") echo OK # wrong! A better way is if (~ $1 -c) echo OK Test whether is in the current directory. test -f abc -o -d abc SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/test.c SEE ALSO
rc(1) TEST(1)