Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK to merge multiple files side by side Post 302526708 by TinWalrus on Wednesday 1st of June 2011 08:02:48 AM
Old 06-01-2011
not sure how paste would work with hundreds of files, but it will take a regular expression... i.e.

paste doc?.txt > combined.txt

will take all files doc?.txt files and paste them into combined.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Merge Two .xls files side by side into a single .xls

Hi all, please help me out in below requirement. I have two .xls files say abc.xls and bbc.xls , i want to merge these two files into a single file ..say xyz.xls side by side Ex: abc.xls Eno Ename 101 hello 102 hero 103 india bbc.xls Eno Ename 201 delhi 202 Hyd 203... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish99
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Merge Two .xls files side by side into a single .xls

Hi all, please help me out in below requirement. I have two .xls files say abc.xls and bbc.xls , i want to merge these two files into a single file ..say xyz.xls side by side Ex: abc.xls bbc.xls Eno Ename Eno Ename 101 hello ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish99
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 text files to one text file side by side

Inquiring minds want to know.... I need to take two files that I have latitude and longitude values and then combine them into one file with the values side by side separated by a space. the first file is temp113-lat.txt and the second is temp113-lon.txt. They each have values listed in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahinkebein
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 3 columns side by side

I know this is a stupid question for you guys! half day googling and i got nothing :( i have 3 variables/files, say: $X1 or file1: # there is one whitespace space after each line | 21 | 9 | 28 | 100 | 51 $X2 or file2: # there is one whitespace space... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amaulana
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to place selected columns from a group of files side by side in a new file

Hi Everyone, I need a shell/perl script to bring selected columns from all the files located in a directory and place them in a new file side by side. File1: a b c d 2 3 4 5 f g h i .......... File2: I II III IV w x y z .............. and so on many files are there...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Merge / combine / join / paste 2 text files side-by-side

I have 2 text files, both have one simple, single column. The 2 files might be the same length, or might not, and if not, it's unknown which one would be longer. For this example, file1 is longer: ---file1 Joe Bob Mary Sally Fred Elmer David ---file2 Tomato House Car... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cajunfries
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing 3 files side by side based on similar values in rows

Hi I'm trying to compare 3 or more files based on similar values and outputting them into 3 columns. For example: file1 ABC DEF GHI file2 DEF DER file3 ABC DER The output should come out like this file1 file2 file3 ABC ABC (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerofire123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two single column files side-by-side

Hi, I am looking for a sed/awk script to join two large (~300 M) single column files (one is sorted and the other is not sorted) side-by-side. I have a shell script but its taking ages to do the task so looking for an optimized fast solution. The two files look like: File1 (sorted) a1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paste many files together side by side

Hi, Thank you for your help in advance :D. I have thousands of files like... file01 file02 file03 . . . file6324 I would like to paste every other file side by side so it looks like file01 file02 file03 file04 ...e.t.c file6323 file6324 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaz1990
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two text files side by side

Hi everyone, I need to merge two files side by side The files look something like this: HOSTNAME fishtornado-K52F 127.0.1.1 UPTIME 20:17:01 up 2:19, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.05 DISK USAGE (Size/Used/Avail/Use%) 29G 6.5G 21G 25% RUN QUEUE PID COMMAND USER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FishTornado
4 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print 's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 1.1; Release Date: 1999/04/23. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
1999/04/23 MERGE(1)