Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux Post 302525320 by DGPickett on Thursday 26th of May 2011 11:03:07 AM
Old 05-26-2011
What does 'file' say? Usually you know by context, as a UNIX file has no magic but the content, which does not have to self-label.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character encoding in Fedora6

Hello, After upgrading the OS from Fedora4 to Fedora6, the firefox view>character encoding doesn't work anymore. None of the foreign characters can be displayed, no matter what character encoding to select. Any suggestions? Thanks, bsky :confused (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsky
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Unicode Character in File

I have a very large file in Unix that I would like to search for all instances of the unicode character 0x17. I need to remove these characters because the character is causing my SAX Parser to throw an exception. Does anyone know how to find a unicode character in a file? Thank you for your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azelinsk
1 Replies

3. AIX

Vacation message character encoding

I am trying to send a vacation message (.vacation.msg) from my AIX 5.3 server. Message is UTF-8 characters. Some email clients (like apple mail) have no problems displaying the correct text, however, some, like Windows Outlook, display garbage. Is there a way of forcing the client to use proper... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanny
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"vi" text editor character encoding?

Hi! I've got a shell account on a FreeBSD machine. It doesn't have 'vim' installed, but only the original 'vi' text editor ("Version 1.79 (10/23/96) The CSRG, University of California, Berkeley.") So, in PuTTY I've chosen "UTF-8 translation" to have my non-english characters appear correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gew
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extra character with iconv encoding

hey, I am trying to convert a sample russian encoding file to English encoding using iconv utility. Its almost done but with each converted character i am getting one extra character which must not come. my sample Russian text is test.txt А Б В Г Д Е Ж З И Й К ~ and script which i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyushgehlot
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find character position in file?

how to find character positionin file? i.e string = "123X568" i want to find the position of character "X". Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
6 Replies

8. Solaris

connect to ILOM via ssh character encoding

Hello all, I am connecting to ILOM using ssh client (putty) but when RedHat start booting everything look chinese for me... Probably i have to configure the character set, i tried also utf-8 but the issue remain. Any idea? Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in a file and append character

Hi Experts, Is there a way to find a string in a file then append a character to that string then save the file or save to another file. Here is an example. >cat test.txt NULL NULL NULL 9,800.00 NULL 1,234,567.01 I want to find all NON NULL String and add a dollar sign to those... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
9 Replies

10. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
fileutil::magic::filetype(n)					  file utilities				      fileutil::magic::filetype(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
fileutil::magic::filetype - Procedures implementing file-type recognition SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require fileutil::magic::filetype ?1.0.2? ::fileutil::magic::filetype filename _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command for the recognition of file types in pure Tcl. The core part of the recognizer was generated from a "magic(5)" file containing the checks to perform to recognize files, and associated file-types. Beware! This recognizer is large, about 276 Kilobyte of generated Tcl code. ::fileutil::magic::filetype filename This command is similar to the command fileutil::fileType. The output of the command for the specified file is a string describing the type of the file. This list will be empty if the type of the file is not recognized. REFERENCES
[1] File(1) sources [ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/] This site contains the current sources for the file command, including the magic definitions used by it. The latter were used by us to generate this recognizer. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category fileutil :: magic of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
file(1), fileutil, magic(5) KEYWORDS
file recognition, file type, file utilities, type fumagic 1.0.2 fileutil::magic::filetype(n)